Beast62

Dec 6, 2020
Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have a "seashell" Trav pool deck, and it was installed in Dec. (Less than 3 months), and we have developed very similar findings on our pool deck as well. We were recommended to allow the stone to "weather" before sealing to address a few color disparities in the stone.

In that time frame or mid-December to date, we have developed the stains.

A little background is that we have a concrete base, so NO sand or limestone underneath our pool deck or patio.

Mason sand was used as the substrate for leveling and setting the pavers, and then a "poly" sand was used to fill the gaps. First, the poly sand has all but washed out, and there is very little sand, if any b/w a lot of our pavers, and with this and rain, we get a lot of the set sand washing out onto the pool deck and into the pool for that matter. The stained pavers are UNDER covered areas or very close and adjacent to the patio's covered area. As others have mentioned, areas in the open and a lot of direct sun look fine.

Someone commented on the iron or mineral content within the sand causing the staining, and I believe this to be the most likely rationale for this happening. With the recommendation of the vapor barrier and white sand or washed and screened sand to help decrease this.

Has anyone had any experience or completed or had their stone installer accept responsibility and complete this step with any success in preventing a recurrence of the staining?

Attachments

• 79CCBACC-90B4-40A6-8C94-3F823805829B.jpeg
    79CCBACC-90B4-40A6-8C94-3F823805829B.jpeg
    497.1 KB · Views: 89
So I used a baking soda and water “poultice” paste and let that basically sit for 24 hours. This did way more than anything the professional accomplished.

Alkaline, so no etching although there is some from the pool companies recommended “stone sealer” who initially attempted an acid wash to remove the stain.

Solution at this point is the pool installer has agreed to replace that entire portion of the patio. Would the prior recommendation of putting down a barrier provide ANY benefit or do more harm then good? How would this be accomplished? Re-level the sand and add a plastic barrier and then lay new pavers? silica sand was also recommended as opposed to poly before sealing.

I believe the slope and drainage are excellent so what other water issues might I have?

The sealer is a Deco 20 penetrating sealer, and the contractor want to install the silica sand and seal ASAP after install.

if the sand and or minerals in the sand is causing the staining, would sealing prevent this from recurring? Would the plastic barrier over the sand help or hurt?

Is your air conditioning coil up in your attic? One idea is that you’re getting some condensation that’s getting drained from the drip tray under the coil and then out of a soffit and splashing down on your decking.

The drip trays are galvanized but they get rusty easily in a humid attic.

Thanks for the thoughts.

There is nothing that I have been able to identify . There is absolutely nothing that would make such a linear pattern for such a long distance. This particular section spans almost 12 ft with some areas being worse than others.

The area has about 3 ft of covering as the rooflines converge in this area. I have gutters and subsurface drainage at the down spouts so the only water is blown in.

The Stucco shows not changes or discoloration to suggest it is from the mesh either.

this particular area where the stains are worse again are only partly covered but I have several other area completely covered or at least on 3 sides which blown in rain would be very, very minimal if at all in some spots! Would have to be a very strong westerly blown in rain to reach.

Anyway, I have digressed. Thanks again for the thoughts.

V/R

Can it be a leak behind the stucco that’s running along the wall and comes out at the bottom? Maybe put a tarp over the area next to the house when it rains. Then see if there’s any wet spots.

I know this has been probably checked, but it appears that the flower boxes on the window sills line up with the stains. I assume they are not leaking and water migrating behind your stills and down the inner wall.
‘I have 3,000 sq. Ft. Of travertine and have seen nothing like this. This stain is from some type of outside influence or dis-similar material.

Can it be a leak behind the stucco that’s running along the wall and comes out at the bottom? Maybe put a tarp over the area next to the house when it rains. Then see if there’s any wet spots.
Certainly a great thought but again the roof here at this level is about 3 ft from the edge of the gutter to the wall. There are no other stains in the stucco or the wall for that matter. No changes in the insulation in the attic or other signs of water damage.

I know this has been probably checked, but it appears that the flower boxes on the window sills line up with the stains. I assume they are not leaking and water migrating behind your stills and down the inner wall.
‘I have 3,000 sq. Ft. Of travertine and have seen nothing like this. This stain is from some type of outside influence or dis-similar material.
Those planters are solid concrete and they do not have any drain holes and have succulents planted in them (Easy with the kids and very infrequent watering). No water damage to the window sills such as warping wood or peeling paint.

Also happening in areas where there is no planters.

Can you take pictures of the overall area of where the stains are. It would be helpful for everyone on the board to try to figure this out.

Sounds to me like some type of mold or mildew.

You need to determine if the “stain” is organic or inorganic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you take pictures of the overall area of where the stains are. It would be helpful for everyone on the board to try to figure this out.

Attachments

• 79F21AF2-2F1B-4909-A5F8-2C0603436A0B.jpeg
    79F21AF2-2F1B-4909-A5F8-2C0603436A0B.jpeg
    385.5 KB · Views: 35
  • A838BB52-ADF6-4AC6-B6C7-795A099054E0.jpeg
    A838BB52-ADF6-4AC6-B6C7-795A099054E0.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 1B8E71E6-9933-40AE-8C6D-8EDCA748E4B7.jpeg
    1B8E71E6-9933-40AE-8C6D-8EDCA748E4B7.jpeg
    477.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 48046A5B-7B32-4054-9834-8EB538172F0E.jpeg
    48046A5B-7B32-4054-9834-8EB538172F0E.jpeg
    541.9 KB · Views: 34
Sounds to me like some type of mold or mildew.

You need to determine if the “stain” is organic or inorganic.
Understood, there are no pedunculated stalks or fuzzy feeling, it is not slick or slimy. So if you have a test I can use to further rule out organic stains I can try I am open. If it we’re pollen or something I would expect it to in other areas.

Otherwise I am thinking inorganic.

The fact that it "grows" in shaded areas and a certain climate suggests it is organic. Mold is not necessarily fuzzy, slick or slimy.

Did you try soaking a chlorine solution on it and see if it lightens?

I have found Wet and Forget to be very effective on outdoor "stains"...

The fact that it "grows" in shaded areas and a certain climate suggests it is organic. Mold is not necessarily fuzzy, slick or slimy.

Did you try soaking a chlorine solution on it and see if it lightens?

I have found Wet and Forget to be very effective on outdoor "stains"...

I used a "poultice" of baking soda and water mixed in a paste and let dry. Lightened the stains but not gone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.