Help with my design

coralreefer

Aug 17, 2019
NC
Hey guys, I am brand new here and have looked around. I am building my first pool and need some tips. If you guys could look at the link and see my design I guess we could go from there. Note: Due to restrictions on my property line it has to be close to he house and I can't move it back any. I am iffy on the hot tub as I would have to walk around it to get to my pier.

Here is the link to my design and specs

Pool, spa, and travertine patio is at $ 89,959. Some details included:

• 650 square foot pool
  • 40 square foot spa
  • 662 square feet travertine patio
  • Salt system
  • 3 LED lights, multicolored
  • 2.7 HP variable speed pump
  • Drainage and rain gutter piping
  • Assumes access to city water(water trucking needs to be added if you have a well?)

That video was cute. Love the kids playing ball! OKAY lets get this party started:

-I see that raised area by the shelf. That could be a major trip hazard. Everyone is going to come up to the steps and not even see it is my worry :(

-lose the spa. If you want a spa put it in the area where the plantings are. Even if you don't put a spa there I would lose the plants. Make it decking or more pool to open up the shallow end for more fun and games. The spa where it is a sight line blocker of the pool from the house. Just not safe.

-I LOVE the bench in the deep end. Nice addition!

How far from the house will the pool be? Check with your area's code for the distance from windows to see if you need to change the windows to shatter proof glass.

Kim:kim:

Hi, and welcome to TFP!
A couple of comments/ recommendations.
1. The Salt Water Chlorine Generator should be sized AT LEAST 1.5x the size of your pool. If its any smaller, it will have a hard time generating enough chlorine to keep up with the demand.

2. This is a general comment. The bigger the filter, the better. A filter which is too small will result in cleaning it more often. So, just make sure your filter isn't one which is too small.

Cool design, I really like that mid-tier seating area. A couple of comments:

- The spillway from the spa goes to the tanning ledge. People using the tanning ledge might like the noise and getting splashed from that, or they might not.
- Make sure you think about the depths of the pool. You have a lot of deep end space, so make sure you want that much vs wading area.
- +1 on what Kim said about tripping on the step. If you need it, at least put a row of tile at the end so people see it.
- I dont see anything about automation. I would push for that.
- What are the detail on the filter and cleaner?
- I dont like the steps off the patio as they eat up a lot of usable space. Are they already there? Is there a way to build up so its not such a drop off from the house door to give you more usable patio space?
- If you are able to eliminate some/all of the steps to give you more of a patio space, would you consider a covered area off of the door?
- Whats up with the depressed dude sitting on the side of the spa?

If you want a pretty sound I would get a bubbler for the shelf. Now if your PB has max skills on building a waterfall will out it looking like a pile of poop then a waterfall might work. Not many people have that skill set so you will want to ask to see examples of his or his subs work on waterfalls.

My vote is to get more pool instead of the spa. That would give more space for the shallow end. So turn it into a semi L pool (which it almost is anyway). Complete the rectangle out to the far edge of spa (where it is now), and keep the sun shelf where it is. With the extra space to the right of the current sun shelf, use it for the in pool seating so people could sit in the pool but face the house. Or..... Keep the in pool seating as it is now (does it face a body of water - you mentioned a pier) which might have a better view, and make the sun shelf larger!

Great plan! It looks like fun. Keep water features to a minimum. I've never heard of a relaxing and soft sounding pool water feature (except in my dreams when we were building the pool). I like Kim's idea for a bubbler or 2 on the shelf. I have 2 on my shelf and really enjoy them (massage for my toes - lol!) Kids love my bubblers and so do my granddogs!

Have fun planning!
Suz

You may not be able to, but I much prefer to have decking all the way around pools. I've seen the usage of ours over the years with lots of kids, adults, me, etc. I'd recommend 4' on the back side before the landscaping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.