Help with in floor cleaning system - Low flow?

Jun 13, 2015
Southborough, MA
My pool has an infloor cleaning system ("IFC") with a 6 port Paramount module. From the pump, there is a T,one side of which feeds a spa with spillover and the other feeds the Paramount unit. After noticing the pool wasn't getting any cleaner (after Slamming), I noticed, the psi on the IFC was 0. I understand this should be around 20 psi. I assume this would be lower when operating both feeds to the spa and IFC. I tried turning off the side feeding the spa and psi on the IFC jumped to 5. Obviously still low.

I checked everything, and there appeared to be no blockage. I called Paramount and they shipped me a new module under warranty (great service!). After installing the unit, psi jumped to 10 with both sides operating. Then it dropped to 0 after a minute or so. I shut everything down, took the filter apart, cleaned everything and started the filter. This seemed to help, but with both sides operating, psi is around 5-8. When I partially shut the valve to the spa, it jumps to approx 10 (see attached).

Does this seem low? Other thoughts? One thing I should mention is that I believe the pool has a leak which I'm trying to work through with the pool company. So if there's a leak in one of the returns resulting in lower pressure, I wonder if this could have an impact?

*Updated 5-10-18* - Came home from being out of town for a few days and noticed the outflow pressure was way down and the IFC was operating at 0 again. Similarly, the spill over was trickling indicating low flow pressure as well.

According to the Paramount owner's manual, the psi on the gauge is supposed to be 20 minimum.

Does the gauge return to zero when you shut the system off?
Was the gauge replaced when you replaced the module?
Is the SWG clean and unobstructed?
Are you able to turn a valve to bypass the heater (thereby increasing flow)?
Are you able to run the system without the filter cartridges installed to check if the cartridges may be restricting the flow?

A few things I would look at:

* what is the pressure at your filter? (how much higher than the Paramount gauge?)
* does the pressure cycle up and down at the filter or the Paramount as it rotates through its stations?
* is there a pressure relief valve in the Paramount line and if so, where does the water return to the pool if that is activated and can you feel/see water returning there?

Thanks for the replies all. I've been out of town and first chance I've had to reply.

Does the gauge return to zero when you shut the system off?
Yes

Was the gauge replaced when you replaced the module?
It wasn't but I don't think it is the gauge as I don't hear anything circulating within the IFC module.

Is the SWG clean and unobstructed?
I need to check this. I just turned the SWG on and I'm getting a message stating "no flow." Will update when I open it up. I wouldn't think this is the issue as it was working originally.

Are you able to turn a valve to bypass the heater (thereby increasing flow)?
I've had it in bypass mode since I've opened the pool.

Are you able to run the system without the filter cartridges installed to check if the cartridges may be restricting the flow?
I'll try this. Would this mean I need new cartridges are 3 yo.

* what is the pressure at your filter? (how much higher than the Paramount gauge?)
About 20 psi (green arrow on Hayward)

* does the pressure cycle up and down at the filter or the Paramount as it rotates through its stations?
It did, but again only at 10 psi

* is there a pressure relief valve in the Paramount line and if so, where does the water return to the pool if that is activated and can you feel/see water returning there?
Not that I know of.

As for running without the cartridges..... just as a test to see if the infloor system pressure goes up. If it does, the cartridges are restricting flow. A good cleaning and soaking in TSP may be enough to allow the needed flow - or you may need to replafe with new cartridges.

I have a different brand of infloor and don't know exactly how your system is set up..... is there a filter screen at the Paramount water valve that can be cleaned?

You've mentioned a few times that the pressure drops after a few minutes. I think we need to understand what that is to rule out some things.

Is your pump multi-speed or variable speed? Does it prime at a higher speed and the pressure drop correlates with the pump speed drop from prime speed to normal run mode?
Or does the pressure drop happen without the pump speed having changed?

You've mentioned a few times that the pressure drops after a few minutes. I think we need to understand what that is to rule out some things.

Is your pump multi-speed or variable speed? Does it prime at a higher speed and the pressure drop correlates with the pump speed drop from prime speed to normal run mode?
Or does the pressure drop happen without the pump speed having changed?

not sure. It’s a Hayward Tristar series. I don’t notice a change in speed.

- - - Updated - - -

Another quick update... I removed the cartridges and ran the filter. The pressure was much stronger with the psi on the IFC back to 10-12 with both the spillover and IFC valves open. I then cleaned the cartridges and all seems fine. I’ll just have to keep an eye on it. I did order new cartridges as well. PSI on filter is now 10.

i also checked the SWG and appears clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.