Help with filter and pump

Jun 25, 2011
So I bought a home a couple years ago with a very old pool that came with it. The ground around the pool is caving in and crushing the sides, and I don't think the pool will last but a few more seasons. I am in midwest where we get heavy freezes in the winter.

I put the filter away but I just pulled it out for the season and it has a huge crack in it. I need to replace it. It was a Hayward D.E. filter.

The pool is 35,000 gallons above ground vinyl and I want to replace it with another Hayward D.E. filter and pump, but I'm not sure which. Also when it is time to demo this pool I want to replace the large pool with something much smaller. So if I buy a 1000 dollar Hayward filter with a 2HP pump, would that be "too much" if I end up replacing the pool in a few season with something much smaller (thinking like 12,500 gallons).

My neighbors are selling a Hayward EC40 for 250 dollars, but I feel that is "too small" for a 35,000 gallon pool and that if I couple it with a 2HP pump that would not be good? But I really don't know what I'm doing, that's why I'm here.

Thanks.

I tend to agree the EC40 might be a bit too small with an effective filtration area of just 20 sq ft. But with today's models below, you can upgrade depending on your budget. The "36" is about $1K, then each large one is about $100 - $150 more. As for the pump, you have options there as well. Unless you have major water demands/accessories, a 1 HP or perhaps 1.5 HP might be sufficient. If you go with a strong variable speed, you can adjust it to just about any rpm so if you did get a strong pump you could tone it down a bit.

HAYWARD - W3DE6020 PRO-GRID 60 SQ. FT.​

HAYWARD - W3DE4820 PRO-GRID 48 SQ. FT.​

HAYWARD - W3DE3620 PRO-GRID 36 SQ. FT​

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.