Queen of Harts

Jul 22, 2022
SW Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm a newbie to pool ownership - I just got my copper levels tested at Leslie's and they came back at 1.2ppm. I have a Culator packet in my skimmer, and the water looks absolutely perfect.
Leslie's is saying to empty the pool and start over - but when I looked up my water company's reports, their copper levels are 1.3ppm anyway! So even if I started over, I'd have the same copper levels.

I guess I'm just confused at how to proceed.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I'm surprised to hear your municipal water supply has such a high level of copper. :scratch: Can you confirm which city/county you are in so we can reference those annual water reports? Perhaps there's something we need to validate. We certainly don't trust local pool store testing for metals or regular perimeters.

Copper is no doubt one of the most troublesome products to get in the water and very little can be done to filter it out. The staining can be extremely stubborn. But let's look into this more and we'll do our best to assist. Be sure to visit our Pool Care Basics page for lots of great info. Enjoy the forum. :swim:

Reactions: Britali
I'll also add - before I added the Culator the water was greenish and staining the vinyl at water level, but the packet cleared it up within a day and I currently have zero cloudiness, green, or staining. It does look like the metal ladder has corroded a little in one spot, so I plan to repaint/replace that during the off season.

The 1.3 ppm is the MCLG allowed by the EPA. NOT what is in your water supply.

The Level Found was N/A to a Range of Detection of 0.459 ppm. So essentially from non-detectable to 0.459 ppm.

Your water supply is not adding copper to your pool.

I guess I'm just confused at how to proceed.
The best advice is to stay out of the Pool Store.

I suggest you ignore copper and focus on the parameters that are important to TFP. A complete set of (your own) current test results would get us all onto the same page but it sounds like you don't have any real issues with your pool water.

Those appear to be pretty good numbers. Can you confirm how you got those numbers? Your signature shows test strips. You'll find here at TFP we advise members to test their water with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Either one is sure to provide very accurate and reliable test results.

Also feel free to post a pic or two of your water so we can see how it looks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That Water Quality report says Cooper was not detected.

1.3 is the regulatory standard above which a violation occurs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.