Help with chlorine levels

Oct 10, 2018
Fresno CA
Hello. I just refilled my pool. All readings are within limits after addition of necessary chemicals ( Calcium chloride, Stabilizer, granular chlorine). My pool is 16000 gallons. My readings are as follows:

FAC - 4 ppm
TAC - 4 ppm
CH - 200 ppm
CYA - 50 ppm
TA - 100
pH - 7.5
TDS - 200
Pho - 50

I am using liquid chlorine ( 12%) purchase at Pool Supply store. I add to reach FAC of 4 ppm. My question is after adding liquid chlorine , in 1-2 days it drops to maybe 2 ppm. Temperature is in the 80's. The pool store that I buy from also does pool servicing and says they only service pools once a week which is the norm. My chlorine level will be down to 1 ppm if I go a week without adding chlorine. How do I make the chlorine level last a week at good levels? Am I doing something wrong? Also he uses stabilized chlorine tabs in residential pools during the summer/spring months in addition to liquid chlorine. then no chlorine tabs in the winter. Is it okay to use both at the same time? I thought you shouldn't mix different types of chlorine?

I wanted to go back to using triclor stabilized chlorine tabs only but he says "NO" because of increasing CYA levels, which I understand but it is a headache having to add liquid chlorine every 2-3 days. Any advice?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What test kit are you using?
Those look suspiciously like pool store test results, which we do not trust.

Chlorine is a consumable, it needs to be added every day. It is normal to have to add 2-4ppm of FC daily.
We teach a method that is very different than the methods attempted by pool service companies ... and we do it cheaper and have better water quality.
So, you have to decide if you want to try to follow pool store / pool service methods and advice or learn and follow the method we teach (TFPC).

You can use tablets and supplement with bleach, but your CYA is already at 50ppm which is the upper recommended level for a non-SWG pool.

I just purchased the Taylor K2006 kit. Yes, they are pool store test results. I will test today with my new kit.

Personally, I do not trust pool stores much. They give me conflicting results all the time, so that is why I am here to get help from this forum and I purchased my own kit. What is the range for CYA suppose to be?

Hey Nick!

You'll find that using tabs is not sustainable, and will require you to periodically replace the water in your pool. A properly maintained pool needs chlorine everyday (you might get a little break in the winter, depending on climate). Pool stores and pool guys cheat that fact by using tabs, and/or dumping in large quantities of chlorine during their visit, or weekly shock treatments, in hopes it'll last you a week. Usually they use more than one method, all of which are not great, either for your pool, your skin, your health or your wallet.

How a lot of us, uh, activity-challenged types deal with daily dosing is to covert our pools to saltwater and use a chlorine generator (SWCG or SWG). You get to stop buying and lugging and dosing chlorine. You still have to properly test your pool water, no getting around that. But chlorine dosing is significantly simplified without the need to replace water because of CYA build up.

I can tell you from doing all three methods (pool guy, pool store and TFP) that TFP is by far the cheapest and the water quality is by far the best, both by a long shot. I use automation and chemical dispensing systems that take care of my dosing, so I only test as needed. During the peak swim season, I don't touch chemicals and my water is perfect. Something pool services cannot match...

Give TFP a try: study Pool School and get yourself one of the recommended kits, if you don't already have one. Ask any learning-curve questions here, and Jason and the crew here will take good care of you.

Trouble Free Pool School

Pool School - Test Kits Compared

If you want to stick around, do this first please, it'll help us help you:

Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Thanks for stopping by. Welcome to TFP! ;)

Links is links!

The Pool School link I gave you vs the ones that Jason did are the same content. You don't have to do both! Jason's are to the website pages, mine is to an eBook. Both are all the same content. I just like the eBook better for the first read through... Jason's individual links are great for quick reference, you'll use them often...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.