help with bright green pool please

suerou

Jun 25, 2018
Charlton ma
Started the year off with swampy pool. Followed SLAM and after a quick turn of dark green water to looking like it was going towards blue, water turned to bright green. Water is cloudy and bottom has not been visible since beginning of process. After a week visited pool store and they diagnosed copper even though the testing didn't show copper (they said it was because high chlorine). Used two bottles of bioguard pool magnet plus and bought sparkle up to aid sand filter. After adding sparkle up pressure rose immediately to 25 had to backwash within 15 - 20 minutes. Running filter 24/7 and used some more sparkle up yesterday adding only 1 cup and slowly to aid filter. I have spent hours searching the internet to see if I can diagnose bright green water and I am now at a loss. Would love some help. Wondering if I have to change sand in filter. Pool is new to me, two years, last owners took horrible care of it. Have Taylor 2006 testing kit and numbers are:

FC : 13

CH: 80

TA: 70

PH: 7.4

CYA: 45

Thank you!!

Started the year off with swampy pool. Followed SLAM and after a quick turn of dark green water to looking like it was going towards blue, water turned to bright green. Water is cloudy and bottom has not been visible since beginning of process. After a week visited pool store and they diagnosed copper even though the testing didn't show copper (they said it was because high chlorine). Used two bottles of bioguard pool magnet plus and bought sparkle up to aid sand filter. After adding sparkle up pressure rose immediately to 25 had to backwash within 15 - 20 minutes. Running filter 24/7 and used some more sparkle up yesterday adding only 1 cup and slowly to aid filter. I have spent hours searching the internet to see if I can diagnose bright green water and I am now at a loss. Would love some help. Wondering if I have to change sand in filter. Pool is new to me, two years, last owners took horrible care of it. Have Taylor 2006 testing kit and numbers are:

FC : 13

CH: 80

TA: 70

PH: 7.4

CYA: 45

Thank you!!

Your first mistake is visiting the pool store.....they sell you things that probably won't work. There is no miracle for clearing water, it's just dedication and a little work. Do you have a real test kit...I do not trust their tests at all. Post some pics...
Have you vacuumed at all?

Thanks for the replies. Yes I did order and am using the taylor k-2006. I started this process two weeks ago yesterday. Brought my chlorine as high as 26 (not exactly on purpose, meant to bring it to 20). I vacuumed it a few times and also brushed. Yesterday I brushed everything to stir it around and vacuumed. My pressure is staying at 13 mostly. No visible algae on the walls. I notice it mostly on the stairs. It came back when the chlorine level was around 14. Didnt know it could grow in that range. This morning I ran my hand around the walls. Small areas felt a bit slimy. So I am guessing all signs point to algae regrowth right? But I am also wondering if the sand in the filter is doing its job. The house is new to me and I only opened the pool last year. If the green wasn't so bright I may not be questioning whats going on. That plus I still can't see the bottom and there has been no improvement over the last 12 days or so. Staining in picture is from previous owner/care taken. I will need a new liner eventually but not right now! Appreciate any thoughts you have.
Also I used bleach 8.25 and 5 percent strength.
pool.jpg

With a CYA of 50, you need to maintain your shock level at 20 PPM. I would check every hour or so in the beginning and keep bringing it up to shock level. I would stock up on liquid chlorine as you are going to go through a ton of it. This will eventually clear up!!!

With a CYA of 50, you need to maintain your shock level at 20 PPM. I would check every hour or so in the beginning and keep bringing it up to shock level. I would stock up on liquid chlorine as you are going to go through a ton of it. This will eventually clear up!!!

Thank you. Going to shock it now. Will see if there is any difference by morning.

Start now! Add your LC and wait an hour and test and add some more! The harder you hit the algae with chlorine the faster it will go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks so much! On my way....

O.k. so I brushed the pool from 6:30 - 7:00 to stir things up.

7:30 I poured 2.4 gallons of 12.5% LC based on poolmath numbers. (FC 5.5, CYA 50, TA 70, CH 80, PH 7.2) Pressure 13

8:30 tested water FC 25 Pressure at 13

Any thoughts on FC going up over what dosage should brought FC too?? I will test at 9:30 to see if it drops at all. Somewhat confused.

With a CYA of 50, just maintain your FC level of 20. Since your FC is at a 24, you can let it drop down to a 20, but maintain it at that 20. Please clear you pool of debris using pool tools such as a brush, vacuum, pool net , etc. Brush Brush Brush the walls...get under the ladders too. And maintain your shock level of 20.

Thanks for the replies. Yes I did order and am using the taylor k-2006. I started this process two weeks ago yesterday. Brought my chlorine as high as 26 (not exactly on purpose, meant to bring it to 20). I vacuumed it a few times and also brushed. Yesterday I brushed everything to stir it around and vacuumed. My pressure is staying at 13 mostly. No visible algae on the walls. I notice it mostly on the stairs. It came back when the chlorine level was around 14. Didnt know it could grow in that range. This morning I ran my hand around the walls. Small areas felt a bit slimy. So I am guessing all signs point to algae regrowth right? But I am also wondering if the sand in the filter is doing its job. The house is new to me and I only opened the pool last year. If the green wasn't so bright I may not be questioning whats going on. That plus I still can't see the bottom and there has been no improvement over the last 12 days or so. Staining in picture is from previous owner/care taken. I will need a new liner eventually but not right now! Appreciate any thoughts you have.
Also I used bleach 8.25 and 5 percent strength.
View attachment 81297
Wow, that pool is as bright as the pool in this meme

attachment.php

Truly appreciate the feedback. Just retested FC at 23. Will test once more tonight and adjust if needed. Then back to battle first thing in the morning......again many thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

It sure is....hoping for blue sometime soon!

Truly appreciate the feedback. Just retested FC at 23. Will test once more tonight and adjust if needed. Then back to battle first thing in the morning......again many thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

It sure is....hoping for blue sometime soon!

Started back up this morning. 11:00 p.m FC 22. 8:20 this morning FC 19.5. Added chlorine (1 cup 3 oz) to bring back to 20. Will brush and vacuum. No difference in clarity or color but maybe today it will turn around. No signs of visible algae on walls or stairs. Will see if I vacuum up much. Fingers are crossed!

Successful day vacuuming, brushing and keeping chlorine at 20. Color is changing a little more back to normal. Still unable to see the bottom but happy with the progress made today. Many thanks for the help.

Coloring has gone to a light blue but water is still very cloudy. Any thoughts on adding a clarifyer or should I just let it filter. I suspect my sand filter isn't working at optimum level because of the cloudiness.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.