Help with bid

The best negotiating tool you have is to get multiple bids. Pricing tends to be regional so you've got estimates for what it takes to build a pool in your location. You have to be careful when going beyond that as people start cutting corners to meet your price. "Here's what you can give up" is a lazy negotiating technique used on the first round. Once you give up what is really just icing on the cake, the contractor may meet you in the middle if you are close and the deal is ready to be signed.

I’m at the point where I just say, let’s do transparent business. Bring me you other bids/offers and I will qualify them.

This demonstrates how much effort or how serious a potential buyer is and apples to apples.

As a contractor, I feel the best buyer negotiation tools are qualified funds & a hard start date in mind. Pipe dreaming and tire kicking take up too much time.

Thanks everyone! I'm pretty comfortable now knowing that the quote doesn't seem outrageous. One more specific question though - I had them add more travertine decking because I noticed there were some spots that weren't covered in the back on their rendering. The difference is about $13.76 per square foot. This seems like a lot for travertine, based on what I've been told by others and read. Is that your experience?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.