IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Hello, I posted recently once my pool got finished with some advice things were going great!
Until recently, the days got cooler, we have not used the pool as much a d kept it covered a lot. I tested a few times a d the numbers are just obscene! I’m not sure what to do next 😬 please help! I believe all my info should be in my signature, and here are my results from this morning:
FC - 41
TA - > 800, I gave up, the solution was still yellow after 800!
PH - 8.2, I know it’s most likely invalid since FC is so high
CYA - 70
A little more info, our salt is at 3550, our output 30% on the SWG, pump is at 40gpm and running 24 hrs, we also keep the water pretty warm averaging 80-82!

thank you in advance!!

Turn off the SWCG. You do not need to run it as much with the pool covered. Once your FC gets back to under 10 ppm, turn it back on to create at most 1 ppm FC per day. Also, there is no reason to run the pump that long or at that rate. You can save a bunch on electricity by running the pump slower and less time.

Take the cover off when sun is on the pool. That will help reduce the FC.

The TA measurement is not correct due to the elevated FC.

Thank you! How do I figure out what output will it take to creat 1ppm/day? Also if I turn the pump down how do I figure out the best rate to run it especially if I still want to run the heater? Sorry I’m totally new to all this!

Just a few things to help you let others help better.

I can not see anything in your signature. Go to the hamburger button at the top left, then to settings, then to signature.
1630853090677.png

you can fill it out there.

What size is your SWCG? I have the IC40 on my ~12k gallon pool and usually kept it about 25% to give me anywhere between 5-10 results for chlorine, depending on how long it is covered and used. Depending on the size, and amount covered, would depend on the percent you set it.

If the chlorine is really 41, then you need to turn it off and let the sun do its thing and work that down. This time of year in Illinois is right about the time when you need to make another adjustment with the settings because of the amount of daylight and sun angle.

I'm with Marty, no way that TA number can be real. We have stupid high TA here for my fill water, and struggle to keep mine below 120 with everything balanced, 800+ would be obscene for sure.

We also run our pump 24 hours a day, but on the slowest speed needed to skim and let the SWCG do its thing. I think it only costs me like $30 a month now to run it this way. My pump may get up to 40 gpm if we are running the slide, bubblers, and the heater, but not needed to just skim the pool and have enough flow for the SWCG.

What part of IL you from?

Thank you! How do I figure out what output will it take to creat 1ppm/day? Also if I turn the pump down how do I figure out the best rate to run it especially if I still want to run the heater? Sorry I’m totally new to all this!
That is a great question. And one other thing I should have mentioned. If you are testing with the TF test kit, you should probably be using Pool Math to save your logs. You can share those as well if you allow it in the settings of the app.

In Pool Math, there is an "effects of adding" where you can select your SWCG, and calculate the output of chlorine based on your pool size.

Thanks! I tried to update the signature, can you see it now? I also marked, share, on the pool math app. So first off I'm in Lemont, and again, I have no clue about any of this, the pool builder just set the pump and SWG to what it is now, and so I'm not sure how to adjust it. So my SWG is the iChor 30, and my pool is pretty small, 8600. Can I just mark the output to 0% or do I have to manually turn it off? How quickly would I see the FC drop? When do I retest, and if I understand correctly, there is no need to test anything else until the FC drops to ~10ppm?
Can you give me some more info on the pump, Mine is the IntelliFlo, it is on ~2000 speed, flow rate 39, power usage 448. The "pool" is set to 40gpm, I also have 2 deck jets and a waterfall.

No automation, correct?
Just adjust the iChlor to 0% generation. Check your FC every day until it gets below 10 ppm.

For a bit over 1 ppm FC added per day, set the pump to run 8 hours per day and the iChlor at 30%.

Do you run the water features all the time? Is the waterfall part of a spillover spa?

No automation, correct?
Just adjust the iChlor to 0% generation. Check your FC every day until it gets below 10 ppm.

For a bit over 1 ppm FC added per day, set the pump to run 8 hours per day and the iChlor at 30%.

Do you run the water features all the time? Is the waterfall part of a spillover spa?
Sorry, I must have misspoke, I do have automation. Usually we just ran the little waterfall, jets only sometimes for the kids, no spa! I’ll try to add some photos

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK -- so you have an app that you can control everything you have. Just go the SWCG page and adjust it to 0. Then you can go to your schedules and adjust them if you wish to run the pump less. You can also run the pump at a lower rpm and only have it increase to the rpm needed for the heater when the system calls for heat.

Ok, so after a full day in the sun with the SWG down at 0%, the FC just tested at 30.5, so went down quite a bit > 10 in one day, hoping two more days like this and will be back to ~ 10ppm. Question is, what do I set the pump and SWG to keep it there? Should I just start at 10-20% and see how it goes? If I keep the pool covered will any FC still be lost?

Question is, what do I set the pump and SWG to keep it there?
I assume you will not always keep the pool covered, hopefully you use it every so often. The cover should be opened for a few hours in the sun every few days to burn off CC.

You will be winterizing this pool in the next couple months.

Have you reviewed your Intellicenter manual and how to navigate the controls?

Correct, I'm mostly covering at night now. Yes the pool company said they would be doing the first winterizing to show us how it works, but honestly, they were supposed to teach us how to use the pump/balance and all that, and that didn't really happen.
I have not reviewed it, I'll have to bring that out!
Thanks!

I tried to update the signature, can you see it now? I also marked, share, on the pool math app.
I can see the signature, nicely done. I'd also add the test kit you are using to the signature. When you ask any questions about chemistry, others will know the test kit you are using and be quicker to respond.

For the Pool Math app, I can not see your test results. When I click on your avatar, there is no button at the bottom to see your results. If you click my avatar, you can see the "Pool Math Logs" under my picture.
1630938533865.png

From what I understand, this could be an issue of how you first signed up for the forum. If you used Facebook for example, this sharing feature will not work this way and you would have to create a link to add to your signature. There are others more knowledgeable on how this works, but for now, we can not see it in your profile.

I'm in Lemont,
Nice, was just there yesterday for the parade, I'm right next door in Lockport.

Can you give me some more info on the pump,
Then you can go to your schedules and adjust them if you wish to run the pump less.
My builder set up my automation schedules, so I have not dove too deep into the Intellicenter, but there are a lot of people around here who have and it should be pretty easy to get the schedules how you want them.

For example, my "standard" schedule is to run the pump all day long, about 1,500 RPM or 15 GPM, then other schedules which will increase the speed if the heater needs to turn on, or if I want to turn on my bubblers or slide.

Question is, what do I set the pump and SWG to keep it there?
So this is really two questions.
First, how long do you want to run your pump, and second what percent do you set the SCWG at?

The first question is a little bit of a preference. I personally like my water to be circulating all day long, covered or not, skimming the pool. I just found my water to be clear and clean this way. At 1,300 - 1,500 RPM for the pump, it does not cost a lot during the month to do it this way (especially compared to all the other expenses with the pool!). If you want to run it say for only 12 hours, that could work too, but you probably do not want the RMP so high, there is just no need for that for normal pool skimming, or your SWCG to work.

So, knowing how long your pump will be running during the day will allow you to set the right % for your SWCG, because it will not be working when the pump is not moving water.

With a SWCG pool, and a CYA of 70, your ideal FC level would be 5. A lot go higher during the hot summer months, and skewing towards the higher end is better than the lower end. Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool

For round numbers, lets say you had a starting FC level of 5 and not 30, to maintain 5, you would need to add about 4 PPM of FC each day to keep up with the chlorine being consumed during a normal summer day. This "4" will depend on a lot of factors, but for simplistic, lets use 4.

Pool Math tells me, for a 8,600 gallon pool, and an IC30, running the pump for 24 hours, and the SWCG set at 29%, it will give you 4 ppm of FC.

Covering the pool, how much you use it, how much sun you get, will all be different for each pool, so it is a bit of an experiment to get the right percentage, and it can change over the season. You may set it at 30%, then have a lot of swimmers, or a party, then it will change, but this will all be a bit of a learning experience to find your right levels.

I agree, you need to keep it uncovered for now, let the sun do its thing, and let it drift back down, then start trying out the different settings until you get it there. We do not have a lot of time left in our pools, but the time you spend now tweaking it will benefit you next season as you dial it in early.

Thank you for that extensive reply! It all is starting to make sense :) I have been uncovering the pool everyday, and last night measured the FC to be at 20, so slowly getting there. You're right that it will be a learning experience...you mentioned things a lot of swimmers potentially changing things too, so if you know you're going to have a party would you just bump up the SWCG to account for that ahead? or just fix later?
I started looking at the pump settings, I'll probably look through posts on here for help with that too. I do see I have 2 schedules set up so far, but on the app they look the same? one from 8am - 8pm, and one from 8pm - 8am, I agree with you that I'd rather keep it going 24hrs as well, would just like to know how to set it up. It seems that once it's set you really don't mess with it again? Maybe it is set up for the right way I'm just not sure where to look yet, I even started reading the manual, but it got confusing haha!
Cool, that you're local :) looks like we're heading for a lovely weekend to still enjoy these pools!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.