Help with Abalone and Luminous Enhancements Pebble Tec / Sheen

We have to pick our pebble tec / sheen finish in the next couple of weeks and we were quoted $350 overall for the abalone enhancement. We were told it is not a cost per bag, rather $350 refers to a ratio.... Does it sound right?

Also, we would love to add the luminous blue blend. Does anyone know what the cost would be? Thanks!

We added Shimmering Seas to our French Gray PebbleSheen, and it was just a flat cost. We love the color of the water with the Pebble Sheen and really love the extra sparkle of the shells/abalone give. Totally worth it! We lost count of how many bags they added. It's very hard to photography though; it's what looks like "white specks" in these photos.
IMG_5463.jpg

Just be sure to discuss with the plaster applicator WHERE they are sourcing the abalone shells from. We have had reports over the years of plaster (lighter blues and grey) that develop brown ring stains around the abalone due to leaching of the organics in the shell. Remember that abalone is a natural product that is derived from the shells of sea mollusks. They can and will contain organic compounds. If they are not processed and washed properly, problems can arise years later when you no longer have the PB on the hook with your money. These stains appear to be permanent and, in most cases, the plaster has had to be redone.

If the applicator can't GUARANTEE that the abalone is a pool grade material, then I would not use it.

Reactions: skyswim
See these posts -

Abalone Shell Chips Causing Brown Stains in Diamond Brite Plaster-

This one has images -

I have a plaster problem

- - - Updated - - -

Ours came from PebbleTec; isn't that OK?

One would assume that a company like PebbleTec would rigorously screen their additives to protect their reputation so I would not be as worried about it. Not all plaster applicators follow "the rules" when it comes to adding enhancements and will often try to find cheaper substitutes to make a better profit. If the abalone additive has a traceable pedigree from a reputable source, then I'd say you're covered. If not, or if the plaster applicator can't provide documentation to prove it, then I would be very leary....

We are going with pebble sheen with added abalone, so hopefully we won't have any issues. Beautiful pics kpag. Thank you. Leaning toward pebble sheen with added blue blend and abalone, hoping to get that vibrant light blue color. Although, pebble sheen aqua blue looks pretty vibrant as well. Not sure

We added Shimmering Seas to our French Gray PebbleSheen, and it was just a flat cost. We love the color of the water with the Pebble Sheen and really love the extra sparkle of the shells/abalone give. Totally worth it! We lost count of how many bags they added. It's very hard to photography though; it's what looks like "white specks" in these photos.
View attachment 59416
I think I’m doing French grey with abalone! Worried it will be too dark in our deep end. How deep is your pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.