HELP !!!!!! White water in pump skimmer basket.

Sep 26, 2014
Oro Valley, Az.
I just changed the sand in my filter. I followed the instruction to the letter, after backwashing before putting the filter in service I now have white water at the pump skimmer and when the pump shuts off the skimmer basket in the pool shoots all the leaves back into the pool. It seems like I have air trapped.

Yes, you do have air trapped. So you must have a side-valve sand filter. When the pump is running, open the air bleed on top of the filter until air stops hissing out and you get water.

The white water in the basket and the source of that air is most likely low water level in the pool. You drained a few hundred gallons backwashing and rinsing. Look in the skimmer. If there's a vortex, there's your air source. It could also be a stuck weir. A wad of leaves could jam it so the water in the skimmer well drops too low.

And if those don't fix it, look at the pump strainer lid gasket.

Thanks Richard, 2 new O rings at pump skimmer and filter lid. Pool water is right, removed the Skim around and put old skimmer basket in. White water is still there just not as bad. I have bled the filter air bled several times, still getting burst of air and water, bled about 5-8 gallons of water. shut the pump off the pool skimmer basket still blows anything in basket out. The water flow restrictor below basket does not reset right. Any ideas would be great. Thanks again. Jim

Thanks Richard, 2 new O rings at pump skimmer and filter lid. Pool water is right, removed the Skim around and put old skimmer basket in. White water is still there just not as bad. I have bled the filter air bled several times, still getting burst of air and water, bled about 5-8 gallons of water. shut the pump off the pool skimmer basket still blows anything in basket out. The water flow restrictor below basket does not reset right. Any ideas would be great. Thanks again. Jim
So we see some improvement with a different basket in the skimmer. What does the skimmer look like? I get sort of a lazy swirl in mine, with the odd flower petal making laps on the surface. But if I press the weir forward, I get violent churning in the skimmer well.

Not sure what you mean by recirculate. Backwash?
Most sand filters have multiple modes. Filter, rinse, backwash, recirculate, waste.... and a couple more lesser-known that I don't know because my filter doesn't have a multiport.

Recirculate takes the water from the pump and sends it right back to the pool, completely bypassing the filter.

If your pool doesn't have those settings, it doesn't have them. I have no way of knowing or even looking it up since you haven't filled out your signature yet. (It's only been 4½ years. Maybe it's time?) What we like to see is listed here: Read This BEFORE You Post - Trouble Free Pool

Reactions: BowserB
You don't have a multiport. You have what is called a slide valve. All you have is filter and backwash.

Since this problem only started after changing the sand, I was just trying to rule out a restriction on the pressure side, like maybe too-fine sand. It would be like your pump has asthma -- can't exhale completely so it can't inhale. But that isn't possible with your setup. I'm out of ideas..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.