Help! Trying to choose between 2 different pool sanitizers.

Were thinking about a SWCG with a chlorine backup system. What should the extra chlorine part cost?

I don't think there is any need for a chlorine backup system. They are probably talking about a chlorinator, which uses the pucks. You want to avoid those because they add CYA to the pool. They are useful when you are on vacation to make sure your FC doesn't go below adequate levels, but not worth the expense just for that. Just get one of those floating puck dispensers to use when you are away for more than a few days. The only other chlorine automation is a stenner pump which uses a liquid chlorine tank to pump in chlorine on a given schedule. But that is not practical or cost effective as a backup system.

jrb,

Just to make sure we are all on the same page... A SWCG pool is a chlorine pool... the SWCG just makes chlorine from the salt water.

Not sure what "back up" would be needed??? In the winter, when it is too cold for the cell to produce chlorine, I just add Liquid Chlorine.. I take care of three pools, and use a total of about 6 gallons of chlorine all winter...

Not sure why, but you could add a 3" tab dispenser.. My guess it that it would cost $200 installed by your pool builder. I just don't see any reason to add one.

Thanks,

Jim R.

My pool builder here in Houston was not real keen on SWG either but man am I glad I went the SWG route! Too me not even a dilemma between CL and SWG. The biggest reason is most PB here are not familiar with the system and are not as common. The biggest thing I can recommend is to read the Pool School chemistry part and make sure they set your pool chemistry up as a SWG pool (as per TFP) and NOT as a CL pool with a SWG. I had to basically start from scratch as FC, CYA, PH, TA and CA were all out of whack from get go. A pain in the rear.

As far as SWG go I have a Jandy Pro TruClear myself for my pool and love it. Only cost around 1,200 total with install. It is rated for 35k gallons. I would never have anything except a SWG personally.

the Jandy Pro TruClear is really easy to clean also due to the way it is designed. They also have a winterizing cap for it where you can pull the cell out in the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.