Help this newb out!

mannino89

May 22, 2020
Sicklerville, NJ
Hello all, I’ve included all pertinent info in my signature. Few questions.

FlowVis meter is where I’m getting my GPM. Below is my current schedule. I’m new enough to this pool stuff that I’m unsure of whether the pool needs to be turned over 1x or 1.5x, thoughts/recommendations are appreciated, thank you.

Program 1 - 0700-1100 2,850 (54 gpm = 12,960)
Program 2 - 1100-1900 2,350 (42 gpm = 20,160)
Program 3 - 1800-2100 1,850 (30 gpm = 5,400)
38,520 gallon turnover

Quick Clean (2,850) = 54 GPM x 12 hours = 38,880 gallons

Second,

last year we replaced the filter media from sand to glass (product specifics in signature) as well as replaced the knob assembly, within the last two weeks, when I backwash/rinse the hose out to the front of my property, I can see traces of the filter media on the street, not a lot, but definitely signs of it. What am I to make of this?

Welcome! I can't speak much to the filter media as I'm just using sand - don't know if someone else can reply to that portion.

For the pump - see this article:

Needing to turn over the water each day is something we've found just really isn't required, so long as the pool is properly chlorinated and balanced. Mostly you need to run the pump to make sure the water is mixed (so one area doesn't burn off its chlorine while another area has it, and to properly test the water), to add the chems and make sure it's mixed afterward, and to skim the surface. So basically you need a minimum of 30 minutes before testing, 30 mins after adding chems, and the rest is up to you for skimming purposes. :)

Welcome! I can't speak much to the filter media as I'm just using sand - don't know if someone else can reply to that portion.

For the pump - see this article:

Needing to turn over the water each day is something we've found just really isn't required, so long as the pool is properly chlorinated and balanced. Mostly you need to run the pump to make sure the water is mixed (so one area doesn't burn off its chlorine while another area has it, and to properly test the water), to add the chems and make sure it's mixed afterward, and to skim the surface. So basically you need a minimum of 30 minutes before testing, 30 mins after adding chems, and the rest is up to you for skimming purposes. :)
Got it, so the whole, “turn the pool over once or 1.5x” of its gallons capacity is pretty much a myth? I appreciate it.

Pretty much. You're not going to force every drop of water through the filter because water mixes and moves in the pool as the pump pushes water back into it, if you think about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.