Help! Steps aren’t right after gunite!? Can anything be done??

lgibson888

Apr 4, 2020
Texas
Before our gunite was installed Friday, I raised a concern to our PB that I didn’t think there was enough room carved out for our steps. I was assured that this was normal for pools, and the steps would be 12” height with the last step into the pool being slightly bigger.
At that point, the steps weren’t framed, just a slope( see pics) so I couldn’t really invision what he was saying, but trusted him.
Fast forward, gunite is installed... steps are 9” height until the last one into the pool is 18 inches!!!!!! ???? That is my 9 year old daughter....
Can anything be done now that gunite has been installed??? He should have started further back onto the tanning ledge to get another step in. The whole point of the design was to not have the steps protrude into the pool!
Please tell me this can be fixed ??? he has not responded to my message yet.
62AAF026-7F00-4582-9371-2F463BB2B0E2.jpeg4AF2CB95-E49B-462F-B596-C89A3F50C4B8.jpeg99CB1500-CA99-42C0-A7F0-85121C605DBE.jpeg0EFB9D91-0A20-411C-9631-EED963CA8F0B.jpeg

I think this section of TAC applies to public pools, but I hope your PB is able to remedy. That’s quite a final step.

I understand your concern. It probably won't be as bad under water, but I could see them just putting another step in the wall. It will consume some pool volume, but once under water it won't be a real issue. They could re-enforce it into the existing gunite and tie it in.

Excuse the bad Photoshop, but here:
4AF2CB95-E49B-462F-B596-C89A3F50C4B8.jpg

I understand your concern. It probably won't be as bad under water, but I could see them just putting another step in the wall. It will consume some pool volume, but once under water it won't be a real issue. They could re-enforce it into the existing gunite and tie it in.

Excuse the bad Photoshop, but here:
View attachment 143726
That’s what I’m thinking the only good option will be. But I just didn’t want anything protruding into the pool area... ?
He called me back and said he would “figure it out, not to worry “

sorry, that doesn’t make me feel better!

That’s what I’m thinking the only good option will be. But I just didn’t want anything protruding into the pool area... ?
He called me back and said he would “figure it out, not to worry “

sorry, that doesn’t make me feel better!

Yeah, I felt bad as I wrote that, but as I let more time to by, it was less of an issue for me as it won’t affect your swim lane. You may need to consider step tiling so people see it as it’ll be an obvious obstruction in that walk way, but honestly I don’t think it’s a big deal and definitely better to have than not in this case.

One other option is make the step wider so it’s consistent across the entire pool length. Might be nice for people to step up and hang out at the pool edge and get the ~1ft height boost. It’d cost more but maybe your PB can eat that since he/she messed up.

Also, “we’ll figure it out” is the PB industries stands are retort for, “Oops, I hope they forget about it”.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Or maybe instead of a step, they can just add a gradual rise (like walking out of the ocean) a foot or two out that would rise up 6 inches or so. That way someone wouldnt break a toe if they accidentally hit a step that was there. Might not look pretty, but once the pool is filled, you'd never notice it.

Or maybe instead of a step, they can just add a gradual rise
Or maybe they break out the jackhammers and the saws and get it right the second time. This is 100% the pool builders problem. It is his job to make sure his subs get the correct measurements and build it correctly. I would imagine he probably was not even on site when the gunite was done. There's no reason those steps could not have been 12" and made it work perfectly. Personally I would not be happy with any of the "fixes" discussed so far.
You also need to consider if any "fix" will hinder the type of pool cleaner you are going to use.

^^^^what he said.
I've broken toes on so-called "marked" step hazards. I know I would not be happy with a step protruding into the swim area. I guess you might get used to it but I know I would break another toe. ?

We had the same issues and concerns...they originally had only three steep steps but thankfully we caught it before the gunite was done. My concern was injuries due to missing steps and stubbed toes and my 87-year old MIL lives with us so we did not want to take a risk of her falling (if she ever gets in the pool) due to the steps being too steep. I don't know the process or if it could be done, but it may be better to have them jackhammer that out, add another step and keep it in line with the ledge so there is not a step hanging out there that could cause injury.

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 25
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.