HELP! Spa not heating and OH code

Mar 10, 2017
NC
Hi everyone, my name is Chris! I am new to the spa world and have only had my spa since I purchased my home, last May. It has been wonderful and a learning experience, until the last few weeks.

About 4 weeks ago, my hot tub was shut down (no power). I found the circuit breaker was tripped, so I reset it. The spa ran fine the rest of the day, heating back up to where I keep it when not in use (85f), but the very next day, I got the OH error code for the first time. I would press a button on the control module to reset it and now it comes back every couple of hours. The water does not heat at all either. I have replaced the Hi-Limit switch and the prongs from the circuit board to the heater tube are getting 240 volts.

My biggest problem right now is trying to get it sorted out before we get freezing temps and snow tomorrow here in the NC mountains, so that I do not rupture anything from freezing pipes. Right now, even without the heater working, the water temp is 72f.....for now. I just refilled it 2 weeks ago, so I really do not want to have to drain it and refill again so quickly.

I have a Balboa 240v system, 5.5kw, and it uses the 2 prong 25a pressure switch, on a 2003 Great Lakes spa.

Can I please get some assistance troubleshooting this problem, as I cannot find anything online with BOTH the OH code and water not heating. My next logical steps would be to replace the A)pressure switch, B)heating element, C)heating tube assembly, D)circuit board.

- - - Updated - - -

I nearly forgot to mention that my heating indicator light does turn on, although it is not heating.

When the OH error code is present, the spa is either not running on some occasions or is running with full power to the jets and turbo on as well.

Chris,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your Spa related questions... :snorkle:

My "guess" would be the heater element is bad. But that is just a guess.

Sounds like you have a meter of some sort. If you can, try to measure the resistance of the heater element and tell us the reading. Put your meter on the lowest ohms scale and make sure the power is off and that at least one side of the element is not connected to the any wiring.

I suspect you will find that it is open and that the reason your Spa popped the circuit breaker was the element going bad.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

The heating element is getting -1.49 ohms on the lowest setting when placing the leads on and getting 1.6 ohms and rising when i switch the sides the leads are on.

Chris,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your Spa related questions... :snorkle:

My "guess" would be the heater element is bad. But that is just a guess.

Sounds like you have a meter of some sort. If you can, try to measure the resistance of the heater element and tell us the reading. Put your meter on the lowest ohms scale and make sure the power is off and that at least one side of the element is not connected to the any wiring.

I suspect you will find that it is open and that the reason your Spa popped the circuit breaker was the element going bad.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

The temperature on the control module is reading 78 degrees, which is correct. I've placed thermometers in the water to check accuracy on the temp sensor in the tub, verifying that it is correct.

What temperature is showing on the control?

Chris,

Well I was thinking about the popped circuit breaker more than anything else, so expected the heater to be open. 1.6 ohms sounds low to me, but if it is not still popping the CB than it must be ok.

I did find this link that might be of interest.. http://www.hottubworks.com/blog/spa-hot-tub-error-codes-oh-ohh-omg/

Basically says that "most" Over Heat (OH) errors are caused by flow problems, not heater issues.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have seen and read that one. I have cleaned the filter, it's very new and very white. The water suction into the filter is still good and the jets are still flowing great, making me believe it is not a flow issue.

Chris,

Well I was thinking about the popped circuit breaker more than anything else, so expected the heater to be open. 1.6 ohms sounds low to me, but if it is not still popping the CB than it must be ok.

I did find this link that might be of interest.. http://www.hottubworks.com/blog/spa-hot-tub-error-codes-oh-ohh-omg/

Basically says that "most" Over Heat (OH) errors are caused by flow problems, not heater issues.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I do believe that I found the issue now. Looks like something went through and onto the element. My guess is some thread tape perhaps from a fitting somewhere. There are no leaks though. I am about to order a new element and new seals for the couplers on the heater tube assembly as well. I'll update when the parts come in.

Resized_20170311_111123.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.