HELP! Something's not right with my pump

Motheresa

Silver Supporter
Jun 23, 2016
Pearland, TX
I have a Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed Pump and a Hayward Viio Turbo pool cleaner for my 20,000 gal, 2yr old, in-ground pool.
Last week I noticed through the strainer cover that the strainer housing was not full of water (you know how it looks when it's so completely full of water that it looks like it's completely empty?). Anyway, this happens if I let the water level get a little low. That is NOT the case this time. The skimmer baskets are both clean, the strainer basket is clean, the pool is COMPLETELY full. What's wrong?????

Mom,

Sounds like a suction side air leak.. "Most" suction side leaks are caused by a poor fit between the pump lid and the pump body. Lubing or replacing the O-Ring is the fix in most cases.

I may have misunderstood.. Is it like this only when the cleaner is connected or anytime the pump is running??

Having your water a little low should not cause this issue, so something else may be wrong. What speed is the pump running?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for your quick response!
Anytime the pump is running. I can see the water sloshing around in the strainer housing. As far as the cleaner goes, I did forget to mention that I can see air bubbles in the in-line filter.
When you ask what speed the pump is running, where do I find that? Is that the gauge on top of the cartridge housing?

mom,

I would think on the pump's control panel. It is a variable speed pump right???

The gauge on top of your cartridge filter is for the amount of pressure that it takes to force water through the filter..

Turn the pump off and open the pump's strainer basket lid. Apply pool lube to the O-Ring and make sure it does not have any obvious damage. Then reassemble.

If this does not fix your problem then please let me know the RPM or speed of your pump and what PSI the gauge reads on top of the filter.

When is the last time you cleaned your filter?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.