HELP Skimmer return layout

Tbwonder

Gold Supporter
Feb 14, 2020
New York
Here is the design they gave.

circular flow...2 skimmers and 2 surface returns.

I am also adding the two low returns facing down with NO main drains. The 1st low return will be near the break pointing Across and down the ramp....the second low return beneath the deep end slimmer...pointing down across to the opposite wall.

good? Bad?

Attachments

• D709731A-D010-4976-984F-8383EE885EA5.jpeg
    D709731A-D010-4976-984F-8383EE885EA5.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 43
My opinion, it's good you are adding 2 more jets. You need a minimum of 4 return jets. My pool is 16x40 and I have six. Remember though, even with all those jets you'll never win a battle against Mother Nature and that wind, or push everything to the deep end. So IF possible, consider your skimmer placement on each side or end, depending on the position of the pool in your backyard, and which direction the wind normally blows. That way surface debris is more likely to get pushed into the skimmer. Jets help, but have little effect across almost 40 ft of water and a head-wind.

Found this in their website as an alternative.

this would be THREE surface returns....I’m not doing main drains so I would add 2 additional low/downward facing returns in the deep end and ramp.

thats 5 Total returns....3 in surface, 2 deep and 2 skimmers moved to same side opposing the prevailing wind.

better than first option?

Attachments

• 97291683-0C00-4A26-A0C1-2B373B8C15DB.jpeg
    97291683-0C00-4A26-A0C1-2B373B8C15DB.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 25
Forget about their standard drawings for now. Which way is the prevailing wind gonna blow across the pool. Draw an arrow on the first pic with direction. I also like skimmers opposite eachother. I would do 6 returns. 2 is plenty for deep returns. You need 4 returns up top for good flow pattern. Online pool guys standardize everything it's not so. Back in the day they built monster pools with a single skimmer and 1 or 2 returns. Sure it works but not very well. You can never have too many honestly

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Forget about their standard drawings for now. Which way is the prevailing wind gonna blow across the pool. Draw an arrow on the first pic with direction. I also like skimmers opposite eachother. I would do 6 returns. 2 is plenty for deep returns. You need 4 returns up top for good flow pattern. Online pool guys standardize everything it's not so. Back in the day they built monster pools with a single skimmer and 1 or 2 returns. Sure it works but not very well. You can never have too many honestly

Thanks for your follow up. Here is the first with the wind.

second is just a clean copy with just 2 skimmers/2 returns.

Attachments

• ECEF0342-2673-4707-A352-1DE08F467D94.jpeg
    ECEF0342-2673-4707-A352-1DE08F467D94.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 63A4FA51-07F1-4C40-BC25-0BCF41E59B17.jpeg
    63A4FA51-07F1-4C40-BC25-0BCF41E59B17.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 24
I can't given the layout on the property. Next best option I am guessing is having both along that one long wall opposing the wind direction. Also, there's a 6' solid fence to the left....not much breeze comes accross at that level.

If I was installing......Red skimmers. Blue returns. Yellow deep returns

The one thing that's tough on a larger pool with just skimmers is water level. I dont do main drains but I do dual wall drains instead to have another suction point. The old days they used equalizes but they aren't VGB compliant anymore

If I was installing......Red skimmers. Blue returns. Yellow deep returns

The one thing that's tough on a larger pool with just skimmers is water level. I dont do main drains but I do dual wall drains instead to have another suction point. The old days they used equalizes but they aren't VGB compliant anymore

Water flow is counter clockwise? So all returns pointing left

Should I just add another skimmer?

Do the two deep returns work against eachother in this config or does it not really matter...we're just looking to stir that water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Deep returns just move water its better if they collide somewhat makes a double fan pattern. I'm going by the fact you have a high fence and little overflow wind. You can flip flop the flow and make it clockwise just the same. 3 skimmers is too much wont look good. Skimmers stand out I color match them so they go away

Reactions: Tbwonder
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.