Help, shocking and PH is through the roof!

To make a very long story short, pool went from fine with good numbers to a green monster overnight. :cry: Been battling green since Monday and not making much progress. Keeping FC around 20-22 with 0% loss overnight.

Numbers Tuesday evening were:

FC-22
CC-0
PH-7.5
CYA-50

Wed early AM:

FC-22
CC-0
PH-7.5

Added 128 oz 12.5% bleach Wed night after work to hit it even harder and numbers are:

FC-27
CC-0
PH->8.2

What happend with the PH? I was at 7.2 on Monday and now above 8.2 I would think all the chlorine would bleach out the test and make the PH test read lower?

Do I leave the PH alone since I'm shocking and it will settle back down or do I need to hit that too? Urgh!

Thanks for the help!

Michele

Ignore it.

Bleach is carried in a very alkaline solution. It will equalize sort of when the breakdown of the NaOCl is complete. When you're done shocking, the water's clear, and the FC is down to a more normal level, you can resume worrying about pH. In the meantime, you're just wasting reagent and worrying needlessly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.