Help Replacing Old Hayward Pump and Housing

Fshine

Bronze Supporter
May 4, 2019
Phila
I have a pump housing c. 2005 that has bit the dust (see pic). I replaced the motor in it a couple of years ago. If I were to get a current housing from Hayward, would I have to redo surround plumbing or would this plumb in fine? Any chance of salvaging the newer motor and just replacing the housing? As they haven’t made this housing for almost 20 years, anyone know of one that could work? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1192.jpeg
    IMG_1192.jpeg
    488.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1178.jpeg
    IMG_1178.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1195.jpeg
    IMG_1195.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 15
I have a pump housing c. 2005 that has bit the dust (see pic). I replaced the motor in it a couple of years ago. If I were to get a current housing from Hayward, would I have to redo surround plumbing or would this plumb in fine? Any chance of salvaging the newer motor and just replacing the housing? As they haven’t made this housing for almost 20 years, anyone know of one that could work? Thanks in advance!
Old NorthStar pump, great idea, bad in practice.

A combination of OEM and generic wet-end parts to re-use that motor are available at Inyo Pools for about $600.00. It would then become a Hayward Super 2 pump. Also, it would continue to be the energy-hog you have now. Anything you would use to replace what you have will require a re-plumb.

Best thing you could do would be to get a new VSP. Even a CaliMar 3HP VSP at less than the cost of the wet-end parts would be a better deal.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thank you both for the information. So the CaliMar would require a replumb but otherwise would work for my purposes? What would you recommend given the “even” qualifier on the CaliMar?

Thank you both for the information. So the CaliMar would require a replumb but otherwise would work for my purposes? What would you recommend given the “even” qualifier on the CaliMar?
A bit of my personal bias toward the more mainline brands. No experience with the CaliMar/Blue Torrent/Black & Decker pumps (same pump different label). Need to know more about your system to make a better recommendation.

A bit of my personal bias toward the more mainline brands. No experience with the CaliMar/Blue Torrent/Black & Decker pumps (same pump different label). Need to know more about your system to make a better recommendation.
My system is a Goldline / Hayward c. 2005. All equipment is branded either of those. The pool and equipment is indoors, so much of it has lasted longer than it otherwise would have. I am open to buying the “right” brand, it’s just been one of those seasons where I have had to replace a lot of equipment all at once. This particular one gives me no option!

Is the replumbing itself a big deal or just adding pvc fittings to accommodate the new pump? (Forgive my naïveté).

Your system should be able to communicate with a Hayward VSP. Which you would need depends on the rest of your system. Not sure why that monster Northstar was initially installed. A system as old as yours would likely give you two speed options with a Hayward VSP, which is enough.
There is an automation adapter available for the brands mentioned. Works with relay inputs.
Replumb is not that difficult, depending on your level of handymsn skills.

Your system should be able to communicate with a Hayward VSP. Which you would need depends on the rest of your system. Not sure why that monster Northstar was initially installed. A system as old as yours would likely give you two speed options with a Hayward VSP, which is enough.
There is an automation adapter available for the brands mentioned. Works with relay inputs.
Replumb is not that difficult, depending on your level of handymsn skills.
What Hayward VSP would you recommend all things considered? I have an aqua connect goldline board. (I was considering the Omnipl conversion before having to replace so many other parts this year). I’m quite handy - is the replumb due to inlet location vs old or diameter of new?

What Hayward VSP would you recommend all things considered? I have an aqua connect goldline board. (I was considering the Omnipl conversion before having to replace so many other parts this year). I’m quite handy - is the replumb due to inlet location vs old or diameter of new?
Pump dimensions are different even among models of the same brand. Nothing I am aware of matches, or comes close, to a NorthStar.
It is always best to get the largest VSP and run it at a lower speed to get the best performance and energy savings. The W3SP3206VSP is Hayward's 2.7 THP pump. It comes with pump unions, so installation is a bit easier.

Pump dimensions are different even among models of the same brand. Nothing I am aware of matches, or comes close, to a NorthStar.
It is always best to get the largest VSP and run it at a lower speed to get the best performance and energy savings. The W3SP3206VSP is Hayward's 2.7 THP pump. It comes with pump unions, so installation is a bit easier.
Thank you. I will likely get the TriStar per your recommendation. Much appreciated!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you. I will likely get the TriStar per your recommendation. Much appreciated!
@1poolman1 I ended up waiting out last season and now have the Hayward Tristar VS pump. The plumbing seems straightforward, but any insight into how to connect it to my old Goldline control panel? And how do I go about programming the system to operate the VS pump? (I believe there is an installer code I don’t know as well). Thank you in advance!

@1poolman1 I ended up waiting out last season and now have the Hayward Tristar VS pump. The plumbing seems straightforward, but any insight into how to connect it to my old Goldline control panel? And how do I go about programming the system to operate the VS pump? (I believe there is an installer code I don’t know as well). Thank you in advance!
Did a communication cable come with the pump? Sometimes they are there and sometimes not. Its just a shielded 2-conductor, 22g, wire.
Follow the instructions in the pump manual on where to install the wire there.
In the Goldline, on the left side of the board is where the other end of the cable attaches. Be sure to match the numbers of the connectors. Without knowing how old your automation is, hard to tell where to go from here. You should be able to set up the pump in the configuration menu if the automation can communicate with it. Your Goldline manual should tell your that as well.

1713734534308.png

This pump can communicate with and be controlled by Hayward pool controls such as OmniLogic™, ProLogic®, ECommand® 4, OnCommand®, OmniHub, S3 Omni, and OmniPL. Minimum software revision requirements: OmniLogic R1.0.0, ProLogic 3.00, OnCommand 1.00, E-Command 2.65, E-Command 4 2.80, AquaLogic 2.65, and AquaPlus 2.65.

To determine Hayward control software revision, consult the pool control installation manual or visit our website at: www.haywardpool.com.

Connection wire must be rated for a minimum of 300V, and may be up to 500 feet in length.

Use removable 4-position terminal block connector for wiring connection to motor drive PCB, taking care to note the wire colors and corresponding numbers next to the connectors.

Terminal block must be installed with screws facing up to ensure proper connection.

2002 Goldline / Pro Logic system (PL-PS-8)

2002 Goldline / Pro Logic system (PL-PS-8).

2002 Goldline / Pro Logic system (PL-PS-8).

Where are you getting 2002?

Can you show the door label?

Goldline introduced AquaLogic in 2003.

Hayward acquired Goldline in August of 2004.

Hayward discontinued AquaLogic in 2008 and replaced it with Hayward ProLogic.

Based on the age, it probably cannot operate a variable speed pump.

If the software revision of your Goldline doesn't support a VSP, that Hayward can also use relays. Look at page 16 of the manual. If it can, at that age it will likely only control 2 speeds, which can be enough.

Thank you for the clarification. I confirmed I am version 2.4. It did come with the comm cable and additional terminal block. Since I saved on the cost of install by doing it myself I think I might use those funds toward OmniPL to bring the system into the modern era and take full advantage of the VS pump. I had a new Raypak heater installed last year that isn’t properly communicating with the system either. As I have to replace components the Goldline seems like it will continue to hold me back and is incredibly inconvenient to operate as it’s currently set up.