Help replacing a cartridge filter and pump.

Meggy29

May 30, 2023
Illinois
My knowledge of pool equipment is limited, so I apologize if I’m not making sense. We need to replace our cartridge filter and pump that came with our 15 foot above ground pool. We currently have one that has red handles by the in and out hoses that can stop water flow. I have attached photos below. When looking at new ones to buy I’m not seeing many models that have these and they don’t look like I’ll be able to attach my hoses the same way. Can I take these off my old pump and filter? What are these specifically called so I can be looking for the right thing? I like the ease of hose attachment when using these. The first 2 photos are examples of the things with handles and the last picture is a pump and filter combo I want to buy. Does it seem like I’ll be able to attach these to this new one?

Attachments

• BBAB31A6-FBDF-4416-BE73-81D9ACFA7857.png
    BBAB31A6-FBDF-4416-BE73-81D9ACFA7857.png
    232.3 KB · Views: 2
  • D0D24F54-53E8-4BA0-82ED-74A124759691.png
    D0D24F54-53E8-4BA0-82ED-74A124759691.png
    172.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 7B03CCFA-1A16-45FA-8C09-0BF9F2062EE2.png
    7B03CCFA-1A16-45FA-8C09-0BF9F2062EE2.png
    230.4 KB · Views: 3
My knowledge of pool equipment is limited, so I apologize if I’m not making sense. We need to replace our cartridge filter and pump that came with our 15 foot above ground pool. We currently have one that has red handles by the in and out hoses that can stop water flow. I have attached photos below. When looking at new ones to buy I’m not seeing many models that have these and they don’t look like I’ll be able to attach my hoses the same way. Can I take these off my old pump and filter? What are these specifically called so I can be looking for the right thing? I like the ease of hose attachment when using these. The first 2 photos are examples of the things with handles and the last picture is a pump and filter combo I want to buy. Does it seem like I’ll be able to attach these to this new one?
Those are good, easy-to-use, valves for your application. Some come with a way to be sure the valve doesn't accidentally close. If yours has one, great. If not, a piece of vinyl tubing, cut to length and wrapped on the stem will keep the valve open. If the one in front of the pump closes, the pump can be damaged. If the one after the filter closes, that is a dangerous condition.

Those are good, easy-to-use, valves for your application. Some come with a way to be sure the valve doesn't accidentally close. If yours has one, great. If not, a piece of vinyl tubing, cut to length and wrapped on the stem will keep the valve open. If the one in front of the pump closes, the pump can be damaged. If the one after the filter closes, that is a dangerous condition.
Yes the ones on my non working pump and filter have a piece to make sure it stays open because absolutely that would be dangerous! Thanks for the reply!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.