rickygrant

Jun 25, 2021
Memphis, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Last Saturday, June 19th, I treated stains in my pool with ascorbic acid. I then made the mistake of shocking the pool. It is now green. I have added metal free, algaecide, and a clarifier. Nothing is getting the water to go back to clear.

Any suggestions about what to do next? Do I need to drain and start over? Would Hyper-Shocking help?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Sounds like a few things need to be addressed first:
- How are you testing your water? Which test kit specifically?
- An AA treatment only removes the staining, so the iron is still in the water. Shocking, or elevating the FC level exceptionally high, only causes the iron to react.
- We almost never recommend floc or clarifier. They can mess-up your filter media.
- Algaecides do nothing for iron
- Metal Free will only handle x-amount of iron, and a high FC level can lessen its effectiveness.
- If you are filling from a well, the iron will just come back unless you have a way to filter it out (i.e. polyfill).

If the green is clear and only related to the reaction between iron and chlorine, you could let the FC fall a bit and see if the green goes away. Also adjust the pH to 7.5 or slightly lower. If the green is tied to algae, then you 'll need to perform a SLAM Process to remove algae. Removing algae must always done first before treating for metals.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Sounds like a few things need to be addressed first:
- How are you testing your water? Which test kit specifically?
- An AA treatment only removes the staining, so the iron is still in the water. Shocking, or elevating the FC level exceptionally high, only causes the iron to react.
- We almost never recommend floc or clarifier. They can mess-up your filter media.
- Algaecides do nothing for iron
- Metal Free will only handle x-amount of iron, and a high FC level can lessen its effectiveness.
- If you are filling from a well, the iron will just come back unless you have a way to filter it out (i.e. polyfill).

If the green is clear and only related to the reaction between iron and chlorine, you could let the FC fall a bit and see if the green goes away. Also adjust the pH to 7.5 or slightly lower. If the green is tied to algae, then you 'll need to perform a SLAM Process to remove algae. Removing algae must always done first before treating for metals.
Thank you for your response. FC has been at zero for a few days now. Green has not gone away...iron tested at .3 ppm today.

should I slam the pool?

Should I drain it?

You have a couple choices to make:
- Ideally, draining and exchanging the water with non-iron water is most ideal. If that's not possible, start filtering pool water now with polyfill; either with poly in the skimmer or through a separate bucket filled with polyfill.
- If you elect to keep the same water, lower the pH to 7.2, confirm the current CYA, then increase teh FC to the proper SLAM level noted on the FC/CYA Levels to begin the SLAM Process. Maintain that elevated FC level until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Follow the SLAM link and you'll do well. Once you pass the SLAM, if the water is still discolored from iron, we can address it at that time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.