Help! Pool drained while away

Sep 18, 2016
Tampa, FL
I've been out of town for a few weeks and for good measure I drained the pool a bit to compensate for rain abundant in this period of the year. I also pointed an old webcam to the pool from the inside to get a sense of the pool. My concern was overflow. Up until last week the level appeared ok, maybe a bit high so I texted a neighbor and asked him about how much rain we got and to let me know if he could drain the excess. Today he calls me and tells me that I have about 1 foot of water in the pool! No apparent leak or soggy yard and all he can find is the missing air relief plug from the filter. He stopped the pump and I called pool repair company to come on over. As immediate action I asked the neighbor to put the hose in the pool and put some water back in. The pool repair company will go over tomorrow but the guy I spoke on the phone said that the air relief shouldn't have drained the pool so dramatically.

Sorry for the long post but any help or suggestion is welcome!!

Bummer!!! Yep, glad you have it filling as fast as possible. If your neighbor is willing, get him to mist the plaster, especially where the sun is hitting it, until the pool is refilled. The plaster can crack from overheating and drying out. If a water truck is an option to help get it refilled right away, I would do that, unless it's cold and rainy.

The pool company should be able to tell you what happened and why.

Sorry to hear about that. What a drag while on a holiday!

Bummer!!! Yep, glad you have it filling as fast as possible. If your neighbor is willing, get him to mist the plaster, especially where the sun is hitting it, until the pool is refilled. The plaster can crack from overheating and drying out. If a water truck is an option to help get it refilled right away, I would do that, unless it's cold and rainy.

The pool company should be able to tell you what happened and why.

Sorry to hear about that. What a drag while on a holiday!
Thanks will keep your suggestions in mind. Especially to mist the plaster.

Try to keep the plaster wet. Going up and down quickly in temperature is also bad. Maybe hire a neighborhood kid to keep it wet. Just trying to cover all the bases.

I don't know your weather but the dryer the air and the hotter the sun, the bigger the risk. I don't want to panic you either - everything is fixable in the worst case, so enjoy your holiday!

I have a valve before the filter to direct water to waste.

However the hose for that was already close to the front of the house so that could quickly be deployed. They should've seen a ton of water out there.

maybe its possible your neighbor drained the pool down a little, but didn't close the valve and when he turned off the pump it acted as a siphon and drained the rest of the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.