Indio, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Good morning. I went to clean out pump basket and noticed water leaking!! Water is leaking from that pipe connecting to the SWG. does anyone know what that piece is called as it has a black cap underneath with a cable in it. Also, the filter box cap below is all cracked. I turned off the system as it was leaking a lot to me like a mini sprinkler. I’m stressing about the Pool water since it’s been super clean:clear. Please help me!!!!

Attachments

• 5C7F2134-75E1-4627-97A9-53DE127FC1C2.jpeg
    5C7F2134-75E1-4627-97A9-53DE127FC1C2.jpeg
    394.5 KB · Views: 20
  • BEEB1F8E-6214-470F-B047-DCCBBE7315E1.jpeg
    BEEB1F8E-6214-470F-B047-DCCBBE7315E1.jpeg
    440.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 250CABC2-7AFF-4BD2-9E22-420B2CD8B4D0.jpeg
    250CABC2-7AFF-4BD2-9E22-420B2CD8B4D0.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
That plumbing part is called a flow switch. If the water is coming from where the black portion is going into the white portion, that can be removed and Teflon taped. You just have to make sure when you thread it back in that the orientation is correct. There should be arrows on top of the black piece near the wire that show you the direction of the water flow.

As far as the filter plug (Hayward sp1022) goes, if the plug is really cracked, that's a pretty easy and cheap fix.. just replace it. Just make sure you turn off the pump for any of these fixes.. and prepare to maybe get your feet wet.. literally

This one should have an o ring on it, you can remove it and clean and lube it to see if it will stop leaking.. You can also replace it..

I think these are the same but not 100% sure.. Amazon.com: Outus 2 Pieces 1.5 Inch Pool Plug Threaded Pool Return Line Plug Winter Expansion Plug with Ring for Swimming Pool Winterizing Pool During Winter Season : Patio, Lawn & Garden

The T with a wire running through I do believe it is a bonding wire.. Page 17 of this has one but it does not look the same...
The one with the wire is the FLOW SWITCH for you SWG. (if you zoom in you can read the label). How tight is it? Super tight? Can you back it out? If so you may be able to put teflon tape on the threads and re-thread. Another good tool is Plasto Skick to keep the threads healthy. Is there cracking in the T around the Flow Switch? If not, it is likely just the fit of the flow switch.

Since you're flow switch appears to be upside down a little trick you can do is to take a marker or 2 and make alignment mark on both white piece and black piece to ensure that when you thread it back in, the flow switch is back where it should be

As far as the filter plug (Hayward sp1022) goes, if the plug is really cracked, that's a pretty easy and cheap fix.. just replace it. Just make sure you turn off the pump for any of these fixes.. and prepare to maybe get your feet wet.. literally
Ok. Just ordered it through Amazon.

On the flow switch pipe, yes it’s cracked and water is leaking from there as well as within the cap seal. Can I put silicone on the crack above the cap to minimize leaks or does it have to be completely replaced?

Attachments

• A8A9ACE8-14B5-414D-986F-C9FBF77A7035.jpeg
    A8A9ACE8-14B5-414D-986F-C9FBF77A7035.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 1013563D-ED8E-4DCC-81A9-24FF6EF3FB9B.jpeg
    1013563D-ED8E-4DCC-81A9-24FF6EF3FB9B.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 17014B27-0EA1-4CE0-9477-44EC139F8C30.jpeg
    17014B27-0EA1-4CE0-9477-44EC139F8C30.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 10
Since you're flow switch appears to be upside down a little trick you can do is to take a marker or 2 and make alignment mark on both white piece and black piece to ensure that when you thread it back in, the flow switch is back where it should bew
What is the correct way it should be placed?

Ok. Just ordered it through Amazon.
When you remove the filter plug, some debris may flow into the threading of the filter plug port. Be sure to clean this port of all this debris before installing the new plug or it may mess up the threads or just leak.

Reactions: poolmom21

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So it’s it ok to have the pump running and water leaking through drain plug?

The one with the wire is the FLOW SWITCH for you SWG. (if you zoom in you can read the label). How tight is it? Super tight? Can you back it out? If so you may be able to put teflon tape on the threads and re-thread. Another good tool is Plasto Skick to keep the threads healthy. Is there cracking in the T around the Flow Switch? If not, it is likely just the fit of the flow switch.
Yes, there is cracking on the pipe

What is the correct way it should be placed?

On the flow switch pipe, yes it’s cracked and water is leaking from there as well as within the cap seal. Can I put silicone on the crack above the cap to minimize leaks or does it have to be completely replaced?
Repairs can be made on the fitting, but I wouldn't consider any of these repairs to be permanent
So it’s it ok to have the pump running and water leaking through drain plug?
I wouldn't say that. What I'm saying is that when you go to replace this plug just turn the pump off. I don't mean to tell you anything you already know but anytime you're making these type of repairs on your filter system the pump must be off

Attachments

• PXL_20210906_151020230.jpg
    PXL_20210906_151020230.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 5
Could the leak on the flow switch pipe be causing “ no flow “ error on my display? Cause I saw that message come up and then disappear ?

Repairs can be made on the fitting, but I wouldn't consider any of these repairs to be permanent

I wouldn't say that. What I'm saying is that when you go to replace this plug just turn the pump off. I don't mean to tell you anything you already know but anytime you're making these type of repairs on your filter system the pump must be off
No, what i meant is right now the pump is on like usual but water is misting out from the drain plug. Is that ok to run the pump or do I turn off the entire pool system until I get the drain plug delivered and installed?

Could the leak on the flow switch pipe be causing “ no flow “ error on my display? Cause I saw that message come up and then disappear ?
Possible that the leak is sufficient to cause this error, but it would have to be a pretty significant leak I would think. It could also be that the leak is causing some flow fluctuations inside the flow switch, causing intermittent errors. If this were a service call I were on, I'd recommend replacing the flow switch fitting T.. can be found at most hardware stores.. your plumbing looks pretty tight, so I'd also be replacing the half union on the salt cell, finding a decent length of pipe between fittings behind the flow switch.. cut and couple.

Running the pump with a cracked plug.. my thoughts would be that the plug will continue to deteriorate.. possibly causing a burst plug and pumping your pool down. The key here would be the examine it closely and be certain it's actually broken.. it could be that the oring has gone bad or just become seated incorrectly.. maybe some debris in the threads..?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.