Help Please !!!

ttomp

Jul 22, 2010
Gonzales, LA
I am a new pool owner and I have a problem. I have something whiteish in color, kinda looks like cotton balls pulled apart that settles out in the bottom. When I vaccum or brush it they go away but then settle back out after a while. I use the Pool Frog system right now (but I am getting rid of it) and the other day when I did the algaecide it went away but the next day when I shocked it came back. It starting formimg before I ever put any algaecide in the pool also. Please help as I cannot find anything on this site or the net that sounds like this. Thanks !!!

PH 7.5
CL 3.0
CYA 30-50
TA 100-120
CH 30
(using test strips)

waste

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Coastalish 'down easter'
Welcome to TFP!

Kind of sounds like water mold, but I'm not 100% on that :oops: . The strips are notoriously inaccurate on cya (as well as the other parameters) - so you may well have a LOT more or a LOT less.

I'd suggest getting a good drop based kit (there is a kit comparison article in Pool School)!

In the mean time, try bumping the chlorine level up to 5+ and see if the issue subsides.

ttomp

Jul 22, 2010
Gonzales, LA
I think the CYA is pretty close because the pool store tested it about a week ago and it was showing 25 so I added a little stabilizer. So i feel like I am OK there. I sure hope it is not white water mold because it looks like it is a PAIN to get rid of. If anyone has any ideas on getting rid of it please tell me. Most post I have read on it say it is slimy and there are white flakes on the top of the water. What I have is not slimy and I have no flakes. I guess it could still be though. Thanks !!!!