Help Please

SVinyard

May 18, 2019
Alabama
So last year our pool cover came off and pretty much got destroyed in a storm. My wife and I decided that we would not recover our pool and thought it would just be some leaves to clear out before we opened it. Our pool is an in ground salt water with a vinyl liner. We just had a new liner put in last year. The capacity is 40000 gal.
We started opening it about a month ago and we still can't get the water clear. We started by clearing the leaves. After that we shocked it with 12lbs of HTH Super Shock. That turned the water from a brownish black to a cloudy teal. I tested it (with test strips) and everything came back within range other than the pH was a little low. During all of this we keep the pump running filtering 24hrs a day. We ran the robo vac most of the days and it was getting up remaining leaves and algae. I added a jug of HTH Algaecide during the first week. The second week there was minimal change in color. It was still cloudy but more blue. So we changed out the sand in the filter and added another 12lbs of shock. Still no change so I added flocculant. That didn't seem to do anything either. So last week I came to the conclusion that the test strips were not accurate. We purchased an HTH 6 way test kit. pH was well into the six's ,but everything else was pretty close. So I added the recommended pH up from Clorox. Tested it the next day. pH was good but cya and chlorine was none existent. We also have brushed it several times a day, I forgot to add that earlier. So day before yesterday I noticed algae growing back on the steps. So yesterday we started the process of slamming it. We added 10 gals of liquid bleach yesterday afternoon. This morning pH was in the 8s so I added some pH down. Chlorine was 5 to 10 still so I believe that is good. Sorry for the long post but we are getting really frustrated trying to get this water clear. Algae was gone this morning and I know my chlorine will most likely take a huge dip later because I haven't had a chance to add any stabilizer yet. One of my questions is what stabilizer should we get? And any other information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You1558185937882-1902524373.jpg1558185904474-1679950469.jpg15581858641301124307883.jpg

You are in the right place! Welcome to TFP. First you need to get a good test kit so you can know your chemical levels accurately. The TF-100XL is a great choice or the Taylor K-2006C. Do not put any more powdered "shock" or algaecide or floc or anything other than liquid chlorine in your pool. You need to SLAM. SLAM Process There's a bit to learn so check out ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry Get a test kit ASAP.

Hiya SVinyard, welcome to TFP!

Razorhog is right- you *need* a good test kit, but also understanding about pool water. I would suggest reading this :
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

In addition, you've been "pool stored" in the sense that you've purchased and added expensive chemicals we do *not* recommend-
Floc- gums up filters and difficult to remove
Algaecide- they don't *kill* present algae, they just help prevent it. And worse yet the cheap ones contain copper which you do *not* want in your pool!
Granular Shock products- add chlorine, sure, but also perhaps more CYA or calcium then needed or wanted?

Check this out--> Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool

Our method of pool care is inexpensive because we know what pool store chemicals actually are, and how to get the very same results using items found in the grocery store.

To SLAM a pool properly you need a test kit. You can't do it by using "Guess-Strips" that tell you "5-10" when your actual SLAM level is 12ppm FC (based on your pool's CYA level). You need actual numbers, not ranges.

Then please fill out a signature describing your pool and its equipment, along with any other pertinent details. This helps us a LOT in answering your questions.

Read the SLAM directions --> SLAM Process

Tell us how it goes and what questions you have-

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: SVinyard
So I checked on the price of the Taylor test kits and definitely will be getting one in the next couple of weeks. As I mentioned in my first post we have a vinyl lined in ground pool. We filled it last year from completely empty so I know the capacity is 40000 gals. We have a Hayward S-240 sand filter with new sand in it. The pump is a Hayward Super Pump. The salt generator is a Hayward Goldline Aqua Rite. I have removed the cell and cleaned it ,but we have not turned the generator on until we can get the water clear. And I have the Vari-Flo valve. I believe that's everything equipment wise. I think I added my pool and equipment to my signature.

I hesitated too about getting a kit, but am glad I did and that I followed these folks advice! The sooner you get one the sooner they can help you have a shiny shimmering pool! *And keep it that way!* :)

It took me several trips through pool school, lots of questions, another trip to pool school to start to get comfortable. Even after several pool school visits I seem to find something that I missed or didn't understand the first time around!

What we are suggesting is to buy your test kit now rather than in a few weeks. We are unable to help you without you having a proper test kit, referenced above, at your disposal. It is vital to the process. Otherwise you are just guessing at what your pool needs. I understand this seems a little regimented, but it works and that's why we do it this way.

We truly look forward to helping you.

Reactions: Msch99
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.