help please!

JacLer

Feb 3, 2016
Raceland, LA
My husband and I stated taking over my family's pools in several apartment complexes. 5 of the 6 are beautiful! The 6th is the problem. The pool had bad metal stains, so we did an AA treatment. We added poly 60 and metal sequesters (metal free, Proteam metal magic and HASA - at different times) Things were looking pretty good, and we started to bring the chlorine level up. We could not get the chlorine to stick and after the Easter weekend, the pool was a little green. We vacuumed to waste and tried to back wash the filter. We sat in horror as the jets delivered a steady steam of maroon colored stuff back into the pool. (We have since ordered a spider gasket to fix that). Anyway, now the pool is green and everything (filter baskets etc) is stained an orange rust color. I am bringing the chlorine up to shock levels, but am concerned that we put back all the metals that we tried to pull out. Someone please advise!

I actually used both. Mostly liquid poured around the pool. I did add some quick dissolve shock broadcast over the pool.

Testing with a Taylor kit. I did also put a few tabs in the skimmer as advised here.
I really think I have algae, but the orange stuff is rust/iron. Everything was looking pretty good until the backwashing which allowed a ton in red looking stuff in the pool. The pool immediately turned bright green and has been that one since.

My my thought process as of now is to finish the slam, then figure out how to get the iron out without being able to backwash until the spider gasket comes in. Does this sound correct?

That is a pretty good plan. You could try putting polyfill pillow stuffing in your skimmer basket to filter out the iron. It will usually grab iron once it goes out of solution.

The iron has settled and caused staining! ��

My my results this morning:
FC 18.5
CC .5
TA 130
ph 7.4
cya 25

pretty sure its not algae anymore. The bottom is stained yellow, rust making the whole pool look green. I added acid to lower ph.
I hope I don't have to repeat the treatment!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have your water tested for iron. From one who has done numerous AA treatments, by raising your FC so high you have released the iron out of seqestration. I have to keep my ph at 7.2 with a lower FC level and use weekly sequestrants which gets expensive.....

We are doing a 1/2 drain/refill now. I guess it's better to bite the bullet and do it. The TDS was 1500.
We will then do another AA treatment.
I hope this solves it once and for all!
The stains are horrible!

Main still worried that the stains from the walls will stay in the water.

Thanks to everyone!
I'll repost my results

TDS is not an important number to know, there are so many different components that contribute to that number. Keep in mind that AA uses up your chlorine so test often and keep it above minimum for your CYA.

Yes, you definitely need to lower your FC for the AA treatment. But, as soon as you bring back your FC to minimum for your CYA you need to test and add bleach/chlorine frequently because the AA will use up the chlorine quickly.

If you have not already, once you get the pool under control you may want to check with the health department about you taking care of the pools, just to be sure you are following any requirements they may have. Pose it as "we are thinking about doing this". No one here is going to tell you, you shouldn't take over and do a better job than has been done it the past but it would be a good idea to be sure you are covered legally too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.