Help please ...out of balance

Slq

May 22, 2020
San Jose, California
Pool Size
After 2+ weeks of California fires and unhealthy high AQI air quality and unable to go outdoors, I'm trying to rebalance my pool. There is algae and here are my test numbers.
FC 1
CC .5
pH. 8.1
TA. 130
CH. 300
CYA 20 (prior was 40. Never been this low?)
Could be ash film floating on surface.
Thanks...Sharon

Get the one in the powder form use an old sock and tie to a skimmer and let it dissolve. You can go squeeze the sock every now and then to speed the process up.

You can also put tabs in a floater. The tabs add both chlorine and CYA. In your case, you'd still need a bunch of liquid chlorine to get started, though. Keep checking CYA until it reaches your goal.

Guess I raise the CYA before SLAM so the FC target will be higher.
Any idea why CYA got so low?
Earlier this year I had to do a water exchange to lower it. I was finally happy it was in normal range.
Also..this morning there was small white bubbles or slushy foam on surface. Sunlight has helped tho and it's better. Any thoughts of its cause.
Thanks.

Do the SLAM first, then when you pass that, add CYA. Don't add it before you start it will just increase your chlorine for the SLAM. Take another test or 2 before adding CYA to ensure your test results are accurate.

I would not use pucks at all just use liquid chlorine/bleach. Use pool math to determine how much to add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dave, what are your thoughts on the CYA ? 20 would be plenty for me in NY with the late season sun, but might not be enough for San Jose. Should she let it be or go to 30 ?

OP] loop[A

Ok thanks. Ordering the stabilizer and additional liquid chlorine!

Pool is still green after 72hrs nonstop filtering. Brought cya up from 20 to 30 (Sunday) and started SLAM. Keeping at target slam level. Brushing daily multiple times. Still green!? 😥 About to backwash and check filter grids. Help I need a break from green. Any advice pls?

How many times each day are you testing FC and adding chlorine?At least 3-4 times per day at this stage. More often the better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.