HELP PLEASE. FIRST TIME SELF CLOSE AND OCD

Jul 22, 2015
Lancaster, PA
I am trying to close pool myself this year but am scared that I will miss something. I have read multiple thread and watch TFP video on closing. I need step by step help with closing to make sure I do it correctly. Please comment if I am missing something. I have inground 25k pool with spillover spa that is also inground. Raypack heater and Pentair Multiport.

1. Balance water with goal of pH 7.5, Free Chlorine 12-14 ( CYA is 55), calcium 400, Alk 80
2. Lower water level 2-3 in below the 2 skimmers (I have 2 returns also at least 3ft from the tile so didn't want to drain below returns). PLEASE COMMENT IF THAT IS OK SINCE DIFFERENT SOURCES SAY DIFFERENT THINGS.
3. I plan on using Cyclone from the pump (bought a hose to attach to it and stick into the pump impeller and suction side)
4. Place hose into suction side of the pump and isolate skimmer line and blow one at the time until line is empty ( 1 minute for each).
5. Add antifreeze to the skimmer line and put rubber gizzmo plug. Add a little antifreeze into the skimmers itself ( I know that this is optional but gives me extra insurance)
6. Then isolate main drain from suction side and blow at least 2 minutes until multiple big bubbles come from main drain and then airlock it.
7. Repeat the same with spa drain and airlock it. Run spa air blower for 25 seconds to clean this out.
8. Switch hose into impeller side of the pump.
9. Set multiport to recirculate and blow out each side of the return one at the time (one return goes to spa and other return pipe goes to the pool return) plugging each return as they bubble for 1-2 minutes.
DO I AIRLOCK MAIN DRAIN FROM RETURN SIDE ALSO?

10. Add some antifreeze to return lines just in case.
11. Take plugs out from the pump and from the Heater
12. Put jugs into the skimmer ( to prevent icing over) and empty the filter from the bottom drain and clean the grids.
13. Put cover on.

Please let me know what you think. I am more confident with blowing suction side then return side so I posted return side picture. I can attach the pad picture later on also.

I also was wondering if there is a way to know ahead of time if my rubber gizzmo plugs are bad or good.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0357.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0357.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_0356.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0356.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 7
  • thumbnail_IMG_0355.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0355.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I am trying to close pool myself this year but am scared that I will miss something. I have read multiple thread and watch TFP video on closing. I need step by step help with closing to make sure I do it correctly. Please comment if I am missing something. I have inground 25k pool with spillover spa that is also inground. Raypack heater and Pentair Multiport.

1. Balance water with goal of pH 7.5, Free Chlorine 12-14 ( CYA is 55), calcium 400, Alk 80

OK. What is chemistry now?

2. Lower water level 2-3 in below the 2 skimmers (I have 2 returns also at least 3ft from the tile so didn't want to drain below returns). PLEASE COMMENT IF THAT IS OK SINCE DIFFERENT SOURCES SAY DIFFERENT THINGS.

And what sources are those?

Lower the water level a few inches below the tile line. You don't want the water line to be on the tile anytime during the winter. The more you lower the water level initially the less you will need to drian it during the winter if we get a wet winter versus a cold snow winter.

3. I plan on using Cyclone from the pump (bought a hose to attach to it and stick into the pump impeller and suction side)

ok

4. Place hose into suction side of the pump and isolate skimmer line and blow one at the time until line is empty ( 1 minute for each).

Whatever works for your plumbing

5. Add antifreeze to the skimmer line and put rubber gizzmo plug. Add a little antifreeze into the skimmers itself ( I know that this is optional but gives me extra insurance)

ok

6. Then isolate main drain from suction side and blow at least 2 minutes until multiple big bubbles come from main drain and then airlock it.

Good luck.

7. Repeat the same with spa drain and airlock it. Run spa air blower for 25 seconds to clean this out.

ok

8. Switch hose into impeller side of the pump.

Dunno your equipment. If you have a union downstream of your filter I would open it and blow in from there to the returns. I prefer not to blow through the filter.

9. Set multiport to recirculate and blow out each side of the return one at the time (one return goes to spa and other return pipe goes to the pool return) plugging each return as they bubble for 1-2 minutes.

ok. See above.

DO I AIRLOCK MAIN DRAIN FROM RETURN SIDE ALSO?

How is your main drain connected to your return side?

10. Add some antifreeze to return lines just in case.

ok

11. Take plugs out from the pump and from the Heater

Follow the heaters manufactures directions for winterization. Some specify more then the drain plugs removed.

Remove PSI gauge from filter.

12. Put jugs into the skimmer ( to prevent icing over) and empty the filter from the bottom drain and clean the grids.

ok

13. Put cover on.

ok
Please let me know what you think. I am more confident with blowing suction side then return side so I posted return side picture.

A dark picture of a few valves is not very helpful.
I can attach the pad picture later on also.

Full daylight pictures of the equipment pad showing all equipment you are winterizing.

I also was wondering if there is a way to know ahead of time if my rubber gizzmo plugs are bad or good.

Always good to have extra plugs before you begin.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
@ajw22
@Catanzaro
I updated the thread with my set up. See I have main drain both in suction and return side. Do I blow it both and airlock it? or only one is enough and keep valve closed on the other side?
I dont have great unions down stream but I was thinking if multiport is set on recirculate that it bypasses the filter?
Any good thoughts to help out my confidence.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
@ajw22
@Catanzaro
I updated the thread with my set up. See I have main drain both in suction and return side. Do I blow it both and airlock it? or only one is enough and keep valve closed on the other side?

I still don't understand what you are asking about.

I dont have great unions down stream but I was thinking if multiport is set on recirculate that it bypasses the filter?

You have blue unions around your chlorinator. You can remove the chlorinator to blow out your return lines.

The anchors and spring should support your solid cover.

@ajw22

I was told that with heavy snow i cant rely on just spring and need frozen water to support the cover.

I mainly wanted advice on how to blow out main drain knowing that it is both on suction and return line.

Also do you know for Cyclone - does connection need to be really tight when fitting into the pipe or can it be somewhat loose and person will be able to hold the hose into the return line pipe?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
was told that with heavy snow i cant rely on just spring and need frozen water to support the cover
Are you sure it’s solid ? I ask because my 98% mesh cover sure looked solid, even held up to the sun, but wasn’t. If its truly a solid cover than you won’t want to drain too far. Just below the skimmer is probably fine as the cover can stretch that far with the heavy snow. Mine let the rain through (sloooooooowly but surely) so I drained 18 inches to start and it was full again just before the big freeze each year so I’d drain another 18 inches to get the rest of the season. By the time the snow happened the (now frozen) water height was back up enough to help support the cover.

Either way expect about 3 ft of precipitation for the off season. You’ll either have to drain that much a little at a time from the top of a solid cover, Or pop a corner and drain that much from the pool. Your choice at that point if you do a foot 3 times / 1.5 ft twice / etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.