Help on air bubbles and loss of vacuum

Apr 27, 2012
tulsa, ok
Opened pool and started to vacuum with my manual vacuum and it seems to be not as effective. Also, when the vacuum hose is installed, I get air in top of pump basket lid. If I disconnect the hose at skimmer, the air in pump basket dissipates. However, I am getting small stream of bubbles from one outlet/return in the pool. But this outlet has discharged air bubbles in the past and seems to clear out after a while. Today it seems that the bubbles are intermittent without the vacuum hose connected but continuous with the hose connected.

Putting a hand to the bottom of the vacuum head while the hose is connected, there seems to be “adequate“ suction, but as mentioned there seems to be a degradation in vacuum performance performance.

(more data after further observation)

About every 15 seconds there is a spurt/whoosh of air bubbles (hundreds of 1/8“-1/4” sized) emitted from jet into pool, then they dissipate. This coincides with a “glug” or a couple of big bubbles that push to the top of the sand filter and collect in the clear plastic manual air relief valve. Then water displaces the air, which I’m sure is what is getting pushed into the return line and showing up as small bubbles in the pool. In other words, the clear plastic manual relief valve area isn‘t continually full of water. Is that normal? now that I think about it, seems I’ve had that going on for years.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.