HELP! New SWG, robot collected lots of pebbletec debri

CFWilliams

Jul 13, 2020
Charlotte, NC
I just ran my robot for the first time since our new Aquapure1400 was installed and it collected SO MUCH rock/pebble debris. I tested the salt and it’s at 3800 which is too high according to the instructions (upper limit is 3500). Could the Salt level be causing this?? help!!

Attachments

• E67BE8AE-85AD-4DFD-BFDB-5CC5FF8F727E.jpeg
    E67BE8AE-85AD-4DFD-BFDB-5CC5FF8F727E.jpeg
    452.1 KB · Views: 32
Salt is dirty and has lots of debris and fine dirt in it. It’s not like the table salt you cook and season with.

Which is why I’ve never understood the latest fad with “pink” salt … it’s literally dirty salt that’s contaminated with transition metal minerals … why anyone would think that’s good to eat is beyond me.

Reactions: Cena_sea
Which is why I’ve never understood the latest fad with “pink” salt … it’s literally dirty salt that’s contaminated with transition metal minerals … why anyone would think that’s good to eat is beyond me.
The things you learn…I buy and use pink salt. I thought it was better because it’s less salty tasting (imo) than regular salt. Now I will rethink it the next time I need more.

The things you learn…I buy and use pink salt. I thought it was better because it’s less salty tasting (imo) than regular salt. Now I will rethink it the next time I need more.

Well, everyone needs a little chromium and cobalt in their diet … 🤮

Y’all idk what’s going on here. There is still pebble tec coming off in my robot filter. Not as much as before but at least a tablespoon or so in each run. I run the robot maybe once or twice a week. I’ve posted my most recent test results below. The pool surface definitely looks like there are bare spots but the pool is only 4 years old (we bought the house and inherited it two years ago)?
Could it be the way I’m adding acid to lower ph? I just sorta dump it in while the pump is running…

Attachments

• 4B147A1F-EF35-4515-8793-58AA7C5D7539.png
    4B147A1F-EF35-4515-8793-58AA7C5D7539.png
    431.1 KB · Views: 6
As long as you are adding acid slowly in front of a return (the stream of acid should be no larger than a pencil diameter), you should be fine. If it were caused by acid pooling the you’d see it in one spot only.

The areas that look bare, have you felt them with your hand? Does the plaster feel rough or mushy?

You inherited this pool from a previous owner. Do you have any idea how they maintained the pool or how the pool was constructed?

I just ran my robot for the first time since our new Aquapure1400 was installed and it collected SO MUCH rock/pebble debris. I tested the salt and it’s at 3800 which is too high according to the instructions (upper limit is 3500). Could the Salt level be causing this?? help!!
I had that problem the first time I added salt, it had a lot of debris in it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have felt it and I’ve never noticed a mushy feeling. Honestly when I’ve looked at it closely underwater it looks really smooth and just like pebbles were never there in the first place. Like I can’t see where they’ve dislodged from the plaster. I’ve never been able to pick any pebbles out with my fingers.

The previous owners used tabs and test strips. I don’t know if they maintained it well or not bc we hired a pool service for a couple months and they REALLY screwed the pool chemistry. I didn’t notice the mottled surface until weeks later after I fired them, found this website, and the water finally cleared up. The pebbletec is really dark so I thought it was supposed to look pond like. Grosses me out now thinking about how we actually swam in that water.

Anyway. Here’s a pic of it now. You can sort of see the lighter parts where it’s wearing. 846A0A54-AC53-474C-9B5F-D77C0A50ED2D.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes. Since we moved here. I can’t tell if it’s getting worse or my water is just clearer now. This image is from July 2020, two months after we moved in.

What kind of chemical? I add a lot of acid- at least 24 oz once a week. I definitely don’t slowly pour it in. I just dump all in and then swirl it around with the pitcher I poured it from or with the pool brush. Is that what is causing it? I am constantly fighting my pH

Attachments

• 1B843E46-3C85-434F-AE16-EE533914FC4E.jpeg
    1B843E46-3C85-434F-AE16-EE533914FC4E.jpeg
    708.4 KB · Views: 7
😂😂😂😂

Sorry. That’s not acid damage at all in the first picture … it’s the reflection of the clouds from the surface of the water :ROFLMAO:

So side by side it looks like the plaster is slightly lighter in color with maybe some banded-ness of white … is that right?

And 24oz once a week is NOT a lot of acid. Just stop dumping it in like that and pour it slowly in front of a return with the pump running and then light brush afterwards.

😂😂😂😂

Sorry. That’s not acid damage at all in the first picture … it’s the reflection of the clouds from the surface of the water :ROFLMAO:

So side by side it looks like the plaster is slightly lighter in color with maybe some banded-ness of white … is that right?
I thought it was too at first, but it’s definitely the surface 😔 the plaster is grayish and the pebble is sort of a natural/brownish color. Where it’s lighter in the photo is where there are fewer pebbles in the plaster when I look at the same spot underwater. I may call the pebble tech people and see if someone can come out and take a look at it 🤷🏻‍♀️

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.