HELP!! New pool owner here, I need reassurance...

njbullock

Jul 15, 2021
Wake Forest, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
We had a neighborhood power outage overnight and the next morning when the power was restored, the breaker that controls the pump was in the off position while everything else was in the on position. I flip the pump breaker back on and assume everything is ok. A few days the pool maintenance guy discovered a no flow reading. He cleaned the filters, problem still not resolved, he checked the voltage and felt like there was a problem concerning the voltage readings. He reached out the PB who gets in touch with Jandy. Today the PB and Jandy warranty rep came to the property to assess and fix the issue. Upon inspection, the Jandy rep observed that the chlorine generator was not wired to go off when there was no power to the pump. In my mind, this means we were close to potentially having our SWG explode because it was running "hot" (their words not mine). The Jandy rep tinkered for a short time and claims that the problem was fixed, we no longer have a no flow reading, chlorine is being generated, and the SWG is now wired to go off when the pump goes off.

Now I have questions because I feel like we dodged a pretty serious bullet...
1) How can I test if the chlorine generator goes off when the power to the pump is off? Can this be tested by simply switching off the pump circuit breaker... and will the proper result be that the chlorinator breaker will flip to off as well?
2) What caused the flow switch to eventually signal no flow? Was this related to the power outage?
3) How do I know the problem is resolved, am I to trust the Jandy rep fixed the issue, or should I invest in having a third party come out and inspect the pool wiring?

I am slightly freaking out because now I am wondering what other mistakes were made upon installation. What can I do to ease my mind? If that was wired incorrectly, what else should I be looking at to ensure no accidents will happen that will hurt my family or damage my property? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Your breaker tripping is a separate issue and indicates an electrical safety issue. Hopefully that was fixed. Flow switches can go bad and can be replaced. Your SWG should be on a dedicated timer or wired to power off with the pump. Observe your pump when it is shutting down and be sure your SWG is off prior or shuts off when the pump does. Do the same when the pump starts and the SWG kicks on. Take some pics of your set up to help members here diagnose your system and offer advice.

Your breaker tripping is a separate issue and indicates an electrical safety issue. Hopefully that was fixed. Flow switches can go bad and can be replaced. Your SWG should be on a dedicated timer or wired to power off with the pump. Observe your pump when it is shutting down and be sure your SWG is off prior or shuts off when the pump does. Do the same when the pump starts and the SWG kicks on. Take some pics of your set up to help members here diagnose your system and offer advice.
Thanks for your response. How do I know the SWG is off? When the pump is off, it is obvious because water stops moving, pump isn't humming. What indicators tell me the SWG is off when the pump is off?

I did this and did see the "wait" notification. Once that went off, the light for "flow" and "cell on" were illuminated. When I turn the pump off (via the pda) I do not see any lights illuminated except the red light beside "Auto" nor do I see any thing displayed on the LCD. I'm I right to assume this means when the pump is off the cell is also off?

Last edited:
I don't use an automated system so you may have to wait for someone here who does. You may also want to call the manufacturer to confirm your system will not generate when the "auto" light is illuminated. When my SWG is off line (I use a timer) there is no power to the unit at all.

If all power to the unit is off when you turn-the-pump-off then I wouldn't expect to see ANY indications.

If you don't want to wait for someone here, that has a similar setup, to respond you should probably try to get ahold of Jandy support. I assume you don't want to try to trace the wiring yourself or measure the voltage at the input to the controller?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did this and did see the "wait" notification. Once that went off, the light for "flow" and "cell on" were illuminated. When I turn the pump off (via the pda) I do not see any lights illuminated except the red light beside "Auto" nor do I see any thing displayed on the LCD. I'm I right to assume this means when the pump is off the cell is also off?
As long as I was looking at the correct manual; those indications tell me that the cel is OFF when the pump is OFF - when you turn the pump on you see the correct indications for the cel starting up and when you turn the pump off the LCD screen being blank conforms to the cel being OFF.

The AUTO light is throwing me - I can't find it anywhere in the manual. Are you reluctant to call your Jandy rep?

Is this what you have?

Can you tell if it is wired like Figure 2a on page 9 or figure 14 on page 23 (assuming your pump is 220 vac)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.