Help! New plaster job - trowel lines and footprints - what to do???

2nd the bucket test. Right now is brutal here in FL. No rain. High UV. Some wind. I'm adding water 2x a week ... a lot of water. I would swear I have a leak if not for the bucket test passing. You could have a leak, or not. Bucket test. Additionally, you can measure the water surface drop from a fixed point - and see if it does less than 1/8", less than 1/4". less than 1/2" per 24 hours and share results IN ADDITION to bucket test.

Side-note: Even though you may end up deciding to escalate this to the authorities (Division of consumer services or [SIZE=-1]Department of Business and Professional Regulation or whatever) you may be best protected and prepared to see an attorney that gives free/reasonable price consultations first.

[/SIZE]

Thank you for your post! There was definitely a leak and a diver came out to diagnose, finding the leak around the pool light. The pool is now holding water fine since the repair on Saturday. So one problem solved. :)
The contractor is once again communicating, just being sarcastic and an overall jerk. But at least we're in negotiations. He keeps saying "there is nothing structurally wrong." Which I have no reason to believe there is anything structurally wrong. My complaints are with the poor finish work--all aesthetic. So we'll see where it goes this week.
Thanks again!

I would believe that the plaster comp is culpable if the leak was not present prior to the "new" plaster job. Keep all receipts..

Did you tell the plaster comp that a leak was found where they chipped the gunite? If so, did they have an opinion?

Good luck

Congrats on finding and repairing the leak. I wonder if the contractor bears any responsibility for that? Maybe a credit for the amount you paid to leak company? Is their fix permanent?

Thank you! Thankfully the contractor agreed and paid to have the leak diagnosed and fixed. So good news there. But it appears that I'm going to have to live with the poor finish work as there is really nothing that can be done short of completely redoing the plaster. Thank you for your response.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the contractor did agree and paid for the repairs. So now back to the poor finish work but likely nothing can be done other than negotiate price. Not happy about it but I guess that's my only option at this point. But it was good news to get the leak corrected.

My pool looks similar.. ie lots of imperfection with a white light at night. Since I normally use a blue LED I really never notice and during the day you cant see any issues.

I wish I couldn't see it! But it's obvious even during the day and some of the spots are bad enough where I'm sure I'll be able to feel it under my feet. The dark blue LED does help conceal to some degree. I have an LED light that has multiple color options. So I can turn on the light blue to see when I'm brushing and the dark blue when night swimming. But I'm in the same boat as you it sounds like, with the finish work. I think that some contractors are only concerned with doing as many pools as possible, without regard to quality or workmanship. It's a good lesson for people considering to have their plaster redone. Ask the contractor about how much time/effort they put into finish work and will they warranty aesthetic defects. Ask them about their quality control and crew supervision. If nothing else it creates an expectation that you are going to be picky about the job and hopefully they are mindful of it during the work.
Thanks for your input.

Perhaps do a little more research or start a new thread just about some very, very minimal FINE GRIT sanding to smooth the transitions - removing the absolute bare minimum so that it is smooth transitions. Do not try to "perfect" or level out the plaster as you'll be sacrificing the long term for the very short term. There may be some experts with experience on here that have done it and can advise. Personally, unless there are any spots that are sharp - I'd just leave it be.

So from here - negotiate with a friendly tongue but zealously fight for your interests and a great outcome. Trust that the contractor will do the same for his interests. Reach a conclusion you can live with or consult an attorney ASAP.

Now outside and apart from the negotiation - repeat - outside and apart from the negotiation mindset....

When things like this happen in life - I reflect upon the following quotes:

From Marcus Aurelius:
"Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking."
"You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength."
"Our life is what our thoughts make it."
"Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears."
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it."

From Seneca:
"How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it."
"I do not distinguish by the eye, but by the mind, which is the proper judge."

From Epictetus:
"When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger."

Bottom line - IF you have a pool that is beautiful and structurally sound and trouble free to maintain the water is safe and of tolerable temperature - then get in there, smile, and rejoice for life is good. Being stressed out over the finish is a choice - how does it benefit you to feel that way? Let it go and relish in the gratitude that you're alive and have a fantastic pool!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.