Help! New owner trying to figure out next steps...

Liquid chlorine is the tool of choice. The fact it has changed from green to light blue is good, but you still have a way ahead. It's important to reach the SLAM FC level of 12 and keep it there. In this initial SLAM stage, it might require you to add the chlorine with pump on high, brush around if needed to help mix, and test again in about 10-15 minutes. Don't wait much longer. Don't let it fall so much. Then bump it up again. If you do that a few times I think you'll find the FC will break-through the barrier of organics that are trying to over power the chlorine. Once it starts to hold, the rate of FC dropping will not be quite as significant and you'll be able to spread-out the testing intervals.

If you still have stabilizer soaking, squeeze it out to get all the mushy granules out and into the water. No stabilizer sitting on the pool floor. If tomorrow you find the CYA still low, add another 10 ppm via the sock method.

Thank you guys,

Hi @Texas Splash - I now see the CYA to be atleast 27ppm and see the FC to be at 5 PPM.
Should I just add the shock that has 65% of the Calc -HypoChlorite to bump it up? or just continue to add 12.5% liquid Chlorine until reaching 12 ppm and maintaining it...

if adding dry form, Should I just pour the dry shock in the pool ? pour it in skimmer? or dissolve in water and then pour it in the pool?
What do you recommend?

or just continue to add 12.5% liquid Chlorine until reaching 12 ppm and maintaining it...
I would stick with the liquid chlorine. It's quick & easy and IMO a bit more reliable. In the future you can use dry forms of chlorine if your other levels (i.e. CYA or CH) have room to allow it.

Hi @Texas Splash

So, I have been pouring liquid Chlorine and the FC testing still showing < 2 ppm and CYA is still <30 (although it didn't dissolve all the stabilizer). I have backwashed yesterday and today and the pressure seems to have returned back. Currently, my pool turned from far green to still light blue/tealish

I still have some dry powder of stabilizer which seems to dissolve little faster when I put it in skimmer wrapped in cloth

Keep continue to add chlorine ? Should I add dry shock instead or anything else ?

View attachment 441070
i understand liquid chlorine to be the gold standard for SLAM, “shock“ products likely contain more CYA which you want to keep from getting too high Or you will need way more chlorine.

Hi @Texas Splash ,

So, my chlorine testing at 9 PPM and CYA still between 25 and 30 PPM. This is the condition of pool. Do you recommend vacuuming now would be best ?

Those black spots are actually debris which can be seen clearly as supposed to earlier.

Advise please.

763CC2B7-19E6-423F-9D1F-BCB212FC9AE1.jpeg

Those black spots are actually debris which can be seen clearly as supposed to earlier.
If there is debris that be vacuumed, certainly do so. It helps to lighten the organic load on the chlorine. Brushing the surfaces to breakup biofilms and vacuuming as necessary is an integral part of the SLAM Process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good Morning @Texas Splash

So, 2 out of 3 test is passing for me
  1. CC 0.5 or lower - I got to be at 0.5 ppm
  2. Less than 1 PPM loss of FC in OCLT test - I lost exactly 1PPM overnight. Test after sunset and re-tested 7:30ish AM without any UV rays
  3. Clear water - For me, the water is still cloudy...
I found myself backwashing very often in a day for me DE filter, like 4-5 times in a day to return to normal circulation. Time for cleaning the filter, now? or put Clarifier? or bring pH down as my pH is 8+? or any other thoughts?

So close yet so far as the season is about to end :)

Please advise..

I found myself backwashing very often in a day for me DE filter, like 4-5 times in a day to return to normal circulation.
Can you post a new pic of the water? It should look much better than Monday (I hope). :)

It seems redundant and repetitive, but your DE filter is doing what it should be - filtering out the dead algae. That of course requires more backwashing on your part, and perhaps testing the CYA a bit more due to water waste. Stick with it. No need to add clarifier. Now that you passed the OCLT, it would be very easy to relax and let the FC fall, but I wouldn't do that just yet as water clarity is once of the SLAM passing criteria. Better to be safe at this point since you've come this far. Perhaps maintain the FC level through this evening, do one more OCLT, and see if the water looks any better tomorrow. If you continue to pass the OCLT but have cloudy water, we may have to consider letting the FC level fall and explore filtration issues. We want you to have crystal clear water and enjoy the pool as you should right-up to closing for winter. An algae-free pool will help to make your spring opening easier as well. :goodjob:

GM @Texas Splash

So, I think I now have completed the SLAM process as I have passed all 3 tests. I have lost 1 PPM in OCLT.

Here are the other readings:
CYA - still about 25
CC - < 0.5
pH - 7.1
TA - 50
CH - 80 (b/w 70 & 80)

This is what my pool looks and haven’t backwashed since last week. YAY 😀

Any recommendations?
As always, I greatly appreciate your help/guidance on this….
C7B5A4AC-2DA6-4873-8505-E0E739016959.jpeg

Beautiful! :goodjob: So now I would he following:
1 - Be sure to maintain the FC within the proper range as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. If the FC is still elevated from the SLAM, you can leave the SWG off for a day or two and it should fall.
2- With the season coming to an end, you may not need to have a CYA of 70 as a salt pool, but under 30 is too low. I would increase the CYA to about 50. Once you do that, again go back to the FC/CYA Levels to ensure your FC is always in the ideal range and never below the minimum.
3 - Watch your pH. If it remains stuck below 7.2 for another day or so, add about 10 ppm of baking soda to increase the TA to 60. Increasing the TA "should" allow the pH to rise a bit more. If that doesn't work, add another 10 ppm of baking soda. Id like to see your pH ideally sit somewhere around 7.4 - 7.8.

That's it! Water looks great. If you have any other questions let us know. Enjoy. :swim:

Thank you @Texas Splash
I have the DE filter not the SWG. I have the FC to be at 2 PPM now and was running the pump for about 8 hours a day. So, I have to maintain 50 CYA : 6-8 FC ration as per the chart
The question is should this be done weekly? daily? does keeping Chlroine Tab floating would help?
Meanwhile, I will start adding the dry stabilizer to increase the CYA
What do I have to make sure before trying to take a dive or two before the season ends? I was hoping to use it this weekend, if weather permits.

Thanks

Right now just be sure to keep that FC elevated with liquid chlorine. The DE filter has nothing to do with chlorine, only filtration. But keeping the FC in that range should prevent algae from returning. Test your FC daily. Once your water remains consistently colder before closing, you won't have to test everyday, but during the swim season stay on the FC level. It should never drop below 3.

Add a little chlorine now and hop in there! :swim:

You can test FC daily & add as needed until you get to know what your pool needs & how often to stay safely above minimum.

And yes you can enjoy your pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.