Help needed with planning in Florida, screen, deck layout etc

usfbull

Gold Supporter
May 11, 2020
Tampa FL
Surface
Plaster
Hi,

Had my first PB visit this morning and waiting on formal estimate. the next couple of weeks have more consultation appointments. In the mean time was hoping to get some ideas/thoughts/suggestions on a few things.

We have a wood deck that is 16x16 out the sliding glass door that will be removed. However that was built on top of a 16x16 concrete slab 4 years ago when the house was built.

Can the slab be "saved" and refinished or can you cut a slab down by 4 feet if we wanted it to only extend 12 feet away from the house and have the pool start 12 feet from the back of the house? We also want to extend the decking horizontally another 14 ft or say 30 feet in total. Not sure if it could be stamped to match whatever else we put down or just scrap that idea and remove it and just add pavers. we were thinking of trying to match the look from the driveway.

To screen or not to screen....We have a few trees in the back of the property that dump a ton of leaves Jan through April. The screen should help keep a ton of debris out and mosquito's etc out though i font love the feel or cost of a screen :)

There is approximately 51 feet from the back of the house to the fence. so if the pool was 12 feet away and we are planning a 14x28 rectangular pool, the screen would need to be at least 30 feet deep 36 feet wide (4 feet away from edges of pool) on each side? The house is 34 feet wide on a 50 foot wide lot. That would still leave ~20 feet between the screen and fence so maybe 15 feet for the kids to run around in some grass?

If no screen is used is there any pool cleaner that will do a good enough job cleaning the debris?

any other things i should consider in terms of layout?

Attachments

• IMG_1720.jpg
    IMG_1720.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1721.jpg
    IMG_1721.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1722.jpg
    IMG_1722.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6932.jpg
    IMG_6932.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 33
Only thing I can comment on is the screen. My closest trees are probably 100 feet away, and with leaves dropping and windy storms coming thru, I cant imagine how much Id have in the pool without a screen. I have never heard anyone say they wish they hadnt put up a screen, but I know plenty of people who wished they had one.

Yeah, I think I have to agree with both of you that between insects and tree debris it will be a must have. I also agree on the cost being a big downside but seems it would be a nightmare without one.

Sorry you have not had an answer yet. Yes, yes, yes............you can do all of the above for your decking and patio with a deep enough wallet.
I guess I was asking if there was a way to save $$ by utilizing the 16x16 slab already in place and fill in the additional space with either additional concrete and stamp all of it or put pavers along side and somehow make it mesh?

no worries, it’s Father’s Day weekend so people are enjoying themselves near the pool :)

I guess I was asking if there was a way to save $$ by utilizing the 16x16 slab already in place and fill in the additional space with either additional concrete and stamp all of it or put pavers along side and somehow make it mesh?

no worries, it’s Father’s Day weekend so people are enjoying themselves near the pool :)
I would not get overly concerned with "saving" ~100sf of concrete vs the amount you will spend on the pool. Trying to preserve the concrete will provide an added complexity for the builder that you may end up paying for in the project anyway. You should assume that they will have to remove approximately ~60" back form the pool coping do have adequate room to build.

My 2 cents, you really don't want to put a bunch of money in a pool and have 1/2 old concrete and 1/2 new, unless you do tile or epoxy paint over the concrete.

Reactions: usfbull
Regarding the to screen and to not screen I am in the same situation. I am in Orlando area. I posted on Nextdoor to see what others in my area said. It was 100 replies and 50/50. I have tested how bad the bugs are at night and they are not too bad except at dusk. I plan to screen in my lanai which is much cheaper than the pool. You will need a heater if you get a screen. For all those reasons I am not going to do no screen but add footers for later. Trying to figure out if I can skip the footers and just add them at the time, not sure how expensive that is but footers are about 4K. If I need it later on the 10-13K for screen plus 6k for heater will be easier to digest. the other thing to consider is if you are near any lakes or ponds, that will determine how bad the bug situation can be.

We are in the process of building a pool, in Orlando, and we have tile that we want to have remove and painted over to match the new concrete. Cost to do this work is $4 a square foot with out concrete removal.

I would say if you plan to put a concrete deck in leave it as is if you have the space. It buys you more entertainment and lounge space closer to the house and probably saves you a few thousand in costs. Who knows what the side effects of tearing out the concrete would be. Would it cause new cracks to form during demo, is the rebar in it and so.

If you are going to pavers they can put matching paver tile over the concrete

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.