Help! My pool is blue and clear

TulsaKevin

Platinum Supporter
Dec 8, 2014
Tulsa OK
Just wanted to post a quick update, I started looking and learning about pool maintenance from this website about 2 years ago. We had a our pool built last year around November. I have been the only one to touch it after the 3 weeks of initial start up. I have used the Tf-100 and get my chemicals (liquid bleach from walmart and muriatic acid from Lowes, and the CYA off of amazon). I went to Leslies one time, against the forums advice, and got some chemicals, I was overcharged and left with several things I did not need or used. Since then, I have never been back and never will. I have read and reread how to maintain the pool the trouble free way and frankly it seem to easy compared to all of the other nonsense that everyone else does. But, I trusted in the process and followed everything to the tee, at least for the first few months, then I slacked but not slipped. I noticed trends and could pretty much predict what the test would show, though I would still run all of the test frequently. As the summer came to the end, I can go a relatively long time without much input, the PH and CL are you main guys to watch for and I have it dialed in that frankly I have not done a lot for a few weeks at a time, though I am still mindful and know that weather and what is going on outside has a lot to do with it.

To date, I have never had algae, never seen the water even a tinge of green, never had cloudiness, never had any major pool chemical issues. I was in the spa tonight and was very closely inspecting the tile and grout, no salt deposits, no calcium build up, no "bath tub ring". I have only scrubbed the tiles 2 times since we have owned the pool.

I was writing this not to brag, but for all of the newbies out there. Here is my recommendation

Read pool school

Go through the last 50-100 post, you will see that nearly 90% of the post can be answered by looking at pool school, but it is good to see repetition in how and what to do.

Then read through pool school again, take a piece a paper, right down all of the test and what does the test mean, and what makes them go up and down.

Get the taylor test kit (which you would have anyway because of the above)

Then go for it.

We have had at least 5 parties in the summer with 50 plus people, we live out in the country and have a lot of animals, including goats, peacocks and guineas that can make a mess, we have oak trees as well. Still we have never had any issues due to the above.

I think the best advice I received was from this site and it compared the pool to a dog, got to feed it and water it, doesn't take long,but got to do it consistently and then you will be blessed with much fun times playing with it afterwards.

Thanks for having this forum and all of the good answers that actually work.

Ditto, my pool is clear and blue. I almost laugh at some of the results I got from the pool store once I got a better understanding of pool chemistry.

Thanks everyone, hopefully I can help some others who are new at maintaining their own pool. I never had a "pool guy", but trusting pool store chemistry tests are like trusting a politician with your money. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.