HELP! Mistakenly added two chemicals to pool water…

NJnick

May 23, 2024
nj
Hello all. Seven year pool owner here who is pretty decent with understanding the do’s and donts. However, I just got back got back from a work trip, lacking sleep, and messed up.

I added three bags of power powder plus shock (calcium hypochlorite) to my 33,000 gallon pool and went to do something else with my son. Five to ten minutes later with a brain fart, I added a gallon of liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) to the pool about five to ten feet from where I added the bags of shock.

I’m a little paranoid that something bad will happen (poisonous gas or worse) and wanted someone to let me know how bad this mistake is and what (if anything) I should do.

Pleaee and thanks!

After you have protected the surface as Marty noted, your FC will be high, but it will come down.

How do you test your water? Can you post a full set of results?

It’s fine. Both liquid chlorine and cal-hypo are alkaline substances. There’s no danger except for high FC. As Marty said, just brush it and you’ll be fine.

Reactions: NJnick
Thanks much! My biggest concern was getting my kids or dog sick or a bad/injury causing chemical reaction. Sounds like not much to worry about. Pump is running (have a paramount system) and three hours have passed seems fine.