Help me with Bids!--Austin,TX

Re: My First Bid--Austin,TX!

Oh man I would have gone off too! You have no idea how frustrating it is when you are treated that way. I'm sure its how little kids feel when they are dismissed, their opinions don't hold much weight, etc. I'm sorry but I have much stronger opinions about all of this, so why does my husband have to be there for EVERYTHING?! I hate it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I don't get the single speed pump argument. I mean I'm a novice and that stuck out like a sore thumb to me.
I agree about the LED. I won't add one later, so why penny-pinch now??

1. I think LED lights are worth the cost.

2. I don't use my nature 2 -- The PB just sells them to get good pricing on zodiac jandy products. I use a stener pump-- a liquidator would work great on this size pool without a vs pump.

3. I agree you probably don't need a vs pump but just about everyone should have a two speed. Daily filtering with a single speed pump is giving $$$ away.

4. I like the polaris 380 --- it doesn't need a booster pump -- but the future is robots. They take less energy and do a better job.

Ok here is my take on it. The pool builder you are talking about basically only knows how to mass produce what they are used to. I have heard stories of equipment not matching etc... because they order their equipment in bulk for the best price possible. When they run out they get another bid for the best price possible so it is possible to get Hayward pumps with Jandy lights etc... Whatever is the cheapest. I would question that even if they do budge and let you buy what you want how well will they install something that they don't normally sell? I would say if you really have to push them to install something then if it breaks they'll probably try to weasel out of fixing it because you changed it to what was not recommended. I say go with a builder that doesn't have an objection to what you want.

You need a 2 speed or VS pump because you want to be able to circulate your water almost 24 hours a day but then step up the speed for when you are doing real filtering. A VS pump or 2 speed will allow you to circulate your water for the price of roughly a light bulb. A single speed will be going at cleaning speed all the time. In Austin I can venture to say you will have saved enough electricity with a 2 speed or VS pump to pay for it a few times over in the first year. So what they told you initially is true that you would save money now but in the next few months you'll be paying more.

Also make sure you are getting 2 skimmers from your PB. I think A&S only provides one unless you ask for another one.

You're not buying a Ford pickup, you're spending a lot of money on a swimming pool, Dummy!"

Average transaction price this year for a Ford F-150 pickup = $46,573, more than the original bid. :p But point taken, they need to listen and some PB's don't. Find one you are both comfortable with as people and also with their proposal. I worked with each one focusing on the final price. Though having them itemize does help when adding/subtracting to get to the final price.

Everything you said about the bulk volume builder rings true. I know that's the case.

Why do I want two skimmers? No one has put 2 so far. I have two more bids to post here :)

Ok here is my take on it. The pool builder you are talking about basically only knows how to mass produce what they are used to. I have heard stories of equipment not matching etc... because they order their equipment in bulk for the best price possible. When they run out they get another bid for the best price possible so it is possible to get Hayward pumps with Jandy lights etc... Whatever is the cheapest. I would question that even if they do budge and let you buy what you want how well will they install something that they don't normally sell? I would say if you really have to push them to install something then if it breaks they'll probably try to weasel out of fixing it because you changed it to what was not recommended. I say go with a builder that doesn't have an objection to what you want.

You need a 2 speed or VS pump because you want to be able to circulate your water almost 24 hours a day but then step up the speed for when you are doing real filtering. A VS pump or 2 speed will allow you to circulate your water for the price of roughly a light bulb. A single speed will be going at cleaning speed all the time. In Austin I can venture to say you will have saved enough electricity with a 2 speed or VS pump to pay for it a few times over in the first year. So what they told you initially is true that you would save money now but in the next few months you'll be paying more.

Also make sure you are getting 2 skimmers from your PB. I think A&S only provides one unless you ask for another one.

- - - Updated - - -

Average transaction price this year for a Ford F-150 pickup = $46,573, more than the original bid. :p But point taken, they need to listen and some PB's don't. Find one you are both comfortable with as people and also with their proposal. I worked with each one focusing on the final price. Though having them itemize does help when adding/subtracting to get to the final price.

Isn't that the truth?! I'm getting ready to roll up my sleeves and get the comparisons and negotiations going...

OK Here's Bid #2. If you want to know names I guess PM me, right? :)

15x30 inground gunite
80' perimeter
368 sqft
**This one threw in a spa! I was told a spa from them would be 10k extra, so I'm keeping that in mind. I'd love a spa of course...
7' spa, raised 18"
Pumps: Hayward TriStar 1.85 HP Variable Speed
Filter: Hayward SwimClear 425 sq. ft. Cartridge
Heater: Hayward H-Series 400k BTU
Water Purification System: (See Option Below)
Pool/Spa equipment controller: Hayward E-Command with 6 Function Wireless Remote Pool cleaner: Polaris 360
Pool lights: (1) White Light Spa Lights: (1) White Light
Plumbing
*All plumbing to be schedule 40 PVC
Two Pool Main drains: 2.5” Suction Back to Pump Two Spa Main drains: 2.5” Suction Back to Pump Adjustable return water inlets: (4) Included
Skimmer: (1) Included
Tile and Coping:
Waterline: 6" standard tile
Coping: Oklahoma Flagstone
Decking: 460 sqft concrete with spraydeck (like a koolkote?)
Plaster: Texas Grey Pebble plaster

$52860

Additional $1500 for wood-burning fire pit
MUST DO Additional $1300 for salt system
Additional $1500 Upgrade (3) Hayward Accent 320 LED Lights

Thoughts, critiques, applause?

- - - Updated - - -

This one had a really similar design to the first, with a really nice patio connecting our existing patio. The price for the fire pit is a lot less than anyone else has quoted, and the idea of a spa is pretty exciting for us..... but we could of course save a ton without it. My first bid could add a spa for 14k.

Bid #3:
16x29 inground gunite
82' perimeter
392 sqft
11,744 gallons
1 skimmer, 4 returns, plumbed independently
Robot cleaner (didn't specify which)
6" waterline tile
Oklahoma flagstone coping
424 sqft brushed concrete with salt finish and color (no coating)
Pebble Sheen standard
Jandy Large Cartridge Versa Pump Filter, 460 sqft
PDA P4 Pool or Spa Only Control System
(Salt System ) with Rainbow In-Line Chlorinator 300/320
2 speed pump (I told him we didn't need variable speed I didn't think) Jandy e-pump (?)
2 Savi LED colored lights

$55,003
no spa, no fire pit

How do you think this compares?

- - - Updated - - -

At that price it doesn't look like they threw in the spa :)

LOL right! But its leverage. Take out that spa and save some $$ I guess.

Here is my 2 cents. Do not tell them you are going to use bleach. Use the word chlorine! It will help at least on that part of the argument.

If they do not listen and insist on x & y tell them BYE and point at the door. IF they do not listen NOW what does that say for the future??????

Make sure they know you are getting other quotes and tell them they will have a chance to beat the others if they are interested.

If they start talking down to you hold up your hand and tell them "I KNOW what I am talking about and what I want so please talk to me on level."

That story up above about the guy asking asking about the husband :shock: NO WAY! He and she handled it very well! I take care of all big house and car stuff in the summer as I am a teacher so am off. My husband is at work so........We make sure I know what I am talking about even if it is something new to me before I talk to anyone. When we were getting all new AC including adding two vents I had one of the AC guys ask when my husband would be getting here LOL. I just pointed at the door and told him to leave. He just stood there with a funny look on his face. I then opened the door and pointed out of it.

Shoulders back, chip up, eyes strong and looking in the eyes. No emotion or such. It is big money business.

Good luck!
Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No problem. Going to pm you again because I don't think I left specs. Do you have any slope they are having to deal with?

When I look at my yard i really see no slope, but apparently there is a gradual slope somewhere because they have all mentioned it. You told me some pretty good specs, and they sound very similar to my bid 3, for a lot less :D

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!! You are so right. I don't know if I'll be able to keep it together during a build because I'll be the one at home watching them like a hawk. But I'll be willing to provide drinks lol

Here is my 2 cents. Do not tell them you are going to use bleach. Use the word chlorine! It will help at least on that part of the argument.

If they do not listen and insist on x & y tell them BYE and point at the door. IF they do not listen NOW what does that say for the future??????

Make sure they know you are getting other quotes and tell them they will have a chance to beat the others if they are interested.

If they start talking down to you hold up your hand and tell them "I KNOW what I am talking about and what I want so please talk to me on level."

That story up above about the guy asking asking about the husband :shock: NO WAY! He and she handled it very well! I take care of all big house and car stuff in the summer as I am a teacher so am off. My husband is at work so........We make sure I know what I am talking about even if it is something new to me before I talk to anyone. When we were getting all new AC including adding two vents I had one of the AC guys ask when my husband would be getting here LOL. I just pointed at the door and told him to leave. He just stood there with a funny look on his face. I then opened the door and pointed out of it.

Shoulders back, chip up, eyes strong and looking in the eyes. No emotion or such. It is big money business.

Good luck!
Kim

Yes, the bids can vary greatly! In fact several builders we tried to politely discuss their minimums over the phone prior to them scheduling an appointment. This helped us rule out a few builders that said their pools start higher than our budget. Not that they wouldn't build us a pool our size or specs but it was going to still be at a price over our budget.

I am not saying we chose based on price alone because we didn't choose the cheapest bid but when some companies are going to charge $15k more than 3 other companies for a similar pool then something isn't quite right :)

I should have done this. I can tell there are two that are not even in our league, and they haven't bothered to follow up after our initial meeting. Their loss I guess.

My Bid 3 seems way high, and he's one of the fancier builders here I think. But the guy is the most communicative of all of them, and seems like he really wants our business, which is more than I can say for pretty much everyone else. I know they're all busy right now, but really, a sketch and bid can't be too bad. I don't even want them to come to the house again.

Yes, the bids can vary greatly! In fact several builders we tried to politely discuss their minimums over the phone prior to them scheduling an appointment. This helped us rule out a few builders that said their pools start higher than our budget. Not that they wouldn't build us a pool our size or specs but it was going to still be at a price over our budget.

I am not saying we chose based on price alone because we didn't choose the cheapest bid but when some companies are going to charge $15k more than 3 other companies for a similar pool then something isn't quite right :)

It is a bit of work to get a good sketch. One of the PB's did the sketch onsite and worked on it very little after they left and you could tell! It was nice to have a sketch and a verbal bid on the spot but the other designers that took their time seemed to have a nicer design. We did have to nudge some of them to return a bid and one of them never did and another took several weeks and finally responded :(

I am with you though, if you are busy just communicate that and communicate a real expectation of when the bid can be completed.

When my PB came over to start pool and do pool school he told me to load up tablets in feeder. I asked him about the bleach / chlorine method. He new I had a chemistry background and at that point he said " he would not use pucks" and that he has heard of the bleach method. I was already planning my Stenner pump and he liked that idea. I think as others have said if they are a exclusive Pentair , Hayward ...etc builder, they purchase a package of the equipment and that is what they install. Let him install a feeder, comes in handy if on vaction or you need to up CYA quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.