Help me Obi Wan: Pool Store v. TFP

i keep my cl fairly high per pool calculator, 3-7 with 40 cya. i haven't let mine go below 3 since
i got off of baquacil last year. i guess i'm a little anal about it, but i had so many problems for
so many years with baquacil, and my pool looks so good now. i usually bump my cl up to 8 or 9
every evening so i never go below 3 the next day. maybe thats a little high, but i never get
any algae and i never have a cl smell.

qbot,

With your CYA of 75 ppm, your minimum FC target is around 6 ppm so I presume you are at 9 ppm only temporarily after you've added chlorine and then you are letting it drop to 6 ppm before the next time you add chlorine, correct?

The 1-3 ppm FC recommendation is historical when there was no CYA in the water and it's easier to have one rule that way (plus it's more profitable for the chlorinated cyanurate manufacturers since more algae means more profitable algaecide to sell). The chlorine/CYA relationship is chemical fact where most of what gets measured as "FC" is chlorine bound to CYA that is not a sanitizer, does not kill algae, does not oxidize bather waste, is not volatile, does not absorb through the skin, etc. The amount of "active" chlorine in your pool with 9 ppm FC and 75 ppm CYA is the same as found in a pool with 0.1 ppm FC and no CYA so is very low -- at least 10 times lower than found in most indoor pool that have 1 ppm FC and no CYA.

The only issue with a higher FC itself is if you were to drink quantities of pool water on a regular basis since the chlorine bound to CYA would get released to react with organics in your body. The EPA drinking water limit is 4 ppm FC assuming drinking quarts of water every day so unless you are consuming lots of pool water on a regular basis, you are nowhere near this limit.

As for what would happen if you had a 1-3 ppm FC, that depends on the amount of algae nutrients in your pool and the type of algal spores blowing around in your area. 1 or 2 ppm FC would be more likely to have a problem than 3 ppm FC, but it's still dicey. On the other hand, that's what most people have before coming to this forum with algae problems, while some others talk about their neighbors that have high CYA with no visible algae. It's a statistical thing...do you feel lucky?

If your pool store person is at all technically inclined, then you can show them the Chlorine / CYA Relationship section in this post.

Richard

...the 1-3 ppm FC is more than adequate to control the water-borne bacteria...
Understand that this is 1-3ppm without CYA.

Cyanuric Acid, while it helps to buffer available chlorine and hold it in reserve against UV degradation, also reduces the 'effective strength' of chlorine. It's a trade-off, longevity for strength. It's accepted here because of years of observing it in action. Much of the pool industry information tends to just carryover from water treatment science, which is different on a variety of fronts, not the least of which is that their chlorination is not stabilized against UV, and their water is not recirculated.

The 'industry' seems to like it this way. They can start you in your nice new pool with a car-trunkful of chemicals. Stabilizer, tabs, broadcast powder, "shock", ph-up, TA-down, more PH-up, calcium, algacide, and more. You have a nice new pool with no idea what's going on, but it's evidently working. Expensive, but working. Each trip to the pool store will net you a wonderful free water analysis by a kid who is undoubtedly a highly trained water purification professional, and a cartload of fresh chemicals. But hey, pools are expensive, right? Then, as the stabilizer begins to build up and the chlorine becomes less effective, they'll tell you to shock with their special high-potency powder. Oh yeah, and some ph-up. And clarifier for the cloudiness. The price you have to pay for having a pool to enjoy. It's worth the cost, though, right? And that'll work periodically, until the CYA level gets too high to even get to an effective shock level. Then they will tell you that you have to eliminate the algae food with phosphate remover. It's expensive, but you know the drill... if you want to have that pool, you have to take care of it. Oh, and more of that shock powder. And some TA-down. Next time in, you'll get some ph-up and more clarifier. And some algaecide. And some stuff to reduce foaming. You'll bounce back and forth between TA and PH adjustments, and keep trying to kill algae. The guys at the store will ask you lots of pointed questions, like "Are you sure you're adding it like we told you to?" and "Did you get collect the water sample properly?", which will make you start to doubt your ability, and they will send you home with various expensive products until they tell you that you have a condition known as 'chlorine lock', which makes your chlorine no longer effective, and they'll have you partially drain and refill your pool. Then you'll need some more tabs and powder for the new water, along with some algaecide and various containers of ph and TA adjusters. You'll probably be OK for a while, depending on when and how much water you drained out, but it all repeats until you learn that you have developed 'chlorine-resistant' algae, and will need to do another drain/refill and use much more of their chemicals this time to get your water back to OK.

Or, you can just follow the CYA/chlorine recommendations, use a little borax or baking soda when needed, and not ever have to deal with any of that experience or expense.

Totally your call.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.