Help me, I've lost the fight with Algae

I for one would like to see what your real CYA level is so that you know how much water to drain. If you do not know your water table level, then there is some risk that your liner could lift (if vinyl lined), or your pool could float (if plaster) if it is too high.

Could you put your pool/equipment details in your sig. It helps us.

Here for comparison are the extended test kit directions for cya: http://www.troublefreepool.com/extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206397 Take a look at them and see if they suggest anything to you about your technique.

Bama Rambler said:
First and foremost, quit listening to the pool store. They're who got you where you are today!

It seems that you may be using the wrong tube to do the CYA test.

Is this what your's looks like?

Yes, that's what mine looks like. I'm also ordering the FAS-DPD chlorine test kit.
In the mean time, I will take my water sample to the store, and see how their results are different from mine, what mistakes I may have made.

Don't put much faith in the pool store test. CYA is one that they do the worse on.

How far up the tube did you get with the liquid before the black dot went away? (close to the bottom, half way, almost to the top, etc.)

Look at Bama's post. You need to maintain your FC ABOVE 15ppm if your CYA is indeed 35ppm ... which is hard to believe if you added enough dichlor to raise it by 80ppm.

You have not been reporting what you are doing / adding to the pool or what your test results are over the last day. Without the FAS-DPD test, it is going to be very difficult for you to successfully keep the FC above 15ppm if you can only measure to 5ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am new here so hopefully if I am off base someone will correct me.

The OP just in passing, mentioned that the bottom of the pool must be full of dead rotting leaves. Having a pool with a lot of trees blowing everything into the water; I can't control the algae until I remove as much of the organics from the bottom of the pool as possible. I use a leaf rake with a plastic lip that slides across the bottom, it's a real pain when you can't see what you are doing. Then I use leaf canister in line and vacuum up the rest of the muck off the bottom.
Please correct my thinking if I am wrong, that the chlorine can't do it's job on the algae because it is tying to burn up all the other organics on the bottom. Isn't that where all the chlorine is going? :?

reeltor has a point, if there are leaves in the bottom, the sooner you get them out the less of your chlorine will be used up by them.

reeltor said:
Isn't that where all the chlorine is going?
Yes for sure some, but not all. It probably does mean that one would have to dose more often or higher to keep at the FC shock level.

yes, find a way to brush/clean as much "muck" out of the pool as possible, DAILY (or as much as you can).
once you order a kit recommended do the FC test to see how much chlorine is in the pool and then post the numbers.

this is a great guide on how to shock the pool using bleach:
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

everyone is steering you to the BBB method, and for a good reason, it works wonders!
bbb-for-beginners-t5208.html

take an hour or less and navigate through this site and read,read,read..it will greatly help you chances of destroying the "swamp thing" living in your pool....

I used a net to take out the leaves, there was not a 1/2 bucket total. I have replaced my gauge 3 times thinking it was faulty, since it was showing 0 pressure. I
Don't see any water, or air leak, replaced the pump housing as I had a new spare, checked all the drain plugs, pipe fittings, cleaned out the filter housing to make sure that no muck was blocking the path to the gauge. There's decent suction, but the outlet into the pool isn't as strong as I remember.
Just thinking that there must be a crack underground.
How can I find out where it is short of digging, or can I temporarily run a flex pipe to one of the inlet/outlets from the pump housing?

Pretty sure i found the culprit.
I dug up under the skimmer, there is a crack on the bottom 90 degree elbow of the skimmer that connects to the pipe.. It seems to be all one piece, it was last replaced around 20 years ago.

Now, I have to buy a new skimmer housing. Amazon has one for under $40, local pool place wants almost $200. Any suggestions as to where I can get one? And is this a DIY? Any place i can find instructions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.