Help me blow out the main line with compressor? Its set up as shown but nothings happening.

Poolsnotmygame

Apr 25, 2019
Massapequa, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey guys thanks for the help.

I thought I had everything done and over with until I realized my shop vac isn't blowing the main line. So I bought a 1/4 compressor fitting and gave that a go today. The air compression is set to 30PSI and I have everything else plugged (filter/pump). I have the filter set to recirculate, the main line open and the return line shut. I set up my compressor and it just starts losing air until its completely empty. I have no idea where the air is going and no air is going out to the main drain. It could very well be something stupid Im missing but I can't figure it out. If anyone knows it'd be a huge help. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6042.jpeg
    IMG_6042.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6041.jpeg
    IMG_6041.jpeg
    517.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6043.jpeg
    IMG_6043.jpeg
    595.9 KB · Views: 26
Since the main drain is on the suction side of your circulation system you do not need to pressurize anything beyond the front of the pump. In other words it looks like you should be able to turn the three way valve between pump and filter off so that no air flows beyond it. Then just make sure the main drain line valve is open and the skimmer(s) valves are closed so that you have isolated just the main drain line.

Since the main drain is on the suction side of your circulation system you do not need to pressurize anything beyond the front of the pump. In other words it looks like you should be able to turn the three way valve between pump and filter off so that no air flows beyond it. Then just make sure the main drain line valve is open and the skimmer(s) valves are closed so that you have isolated just the main drain line.

Thank you. I thought that is what I have done here.

Could be but without labels I can't tell which plumbed lines are what. Is the main drain line the line which is plumbed off the tee closest to the front of pump? The lines furthest from the pump are for skimmers? If so then you have those valves setup correctly.
That said you have a secondary pump which connects to the return line. If you don't block the flow of air to the filter head, by closing the three way valve between the pump and filter, you will be sending pressurized air into the return lines of pool and into that secondary pump return line and eventually to the suction port of the secondary pump. Are those lines already plugged and winterized?

Could be but without labels I can't tell which plumbed lines are what. Is the main drain line the line which is plumbed off the tee closest to the front of pump? The lines furthest from the pump are for skimmers? If so then you have those valves setup correctly.
That said you have a secondary pump which connects to the return line. If you don't block the flow of air to the filter head, by closing the three way valve between the pump and filter, you will be sending pressurized air into the return lines of pool and into that secondary pump return line and eventually to the suction port of the secondary pump. Are those lines already plugged and winterized?

Yes they are. I turned off the flow using that Jandy valve port also just now. Nothing happened again. Can I just drop a gallon of antifreeze down there and hope for the best?

looks like your skimmer line valve and main drain valve are both in the same position. i take it you have already plugged the skimmer lines at the skimmers, but you might try closing the skimmer line valve to see if it helps with blowing the main drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.