Help Making More Sense of My Results

One thing that I will add here, is that chlorine is all the same, the only difference is how you package it and get it into the pool. Your SWG generates gas, while the liquid adds it in the liquid form. There is ultimately no difference in how it effects sensitive skin.

What will 100% effect sensitive skin is if you have not enough chlorine in your pool. This will allow bad things to grown, and the list only begins with algae, and quickly turns to bacteria, virus, etc.

For most people bad reactions ot pool might have made them think they are allergic to chlorine. For almost all of these people, they were allergic to something in the pool, or chloramines, which is a byproduct of chlorine after it kills stuff.

Reactions: NY Smokeater
Excellent point and addition, thank you @Yev.

My kids had terrible eczema and it would always flare up after them swimming in chlorine pools. The saltwater is much gentler on their skin. I don't have an exact answer as to why but the difference is unquestionable. We jumped through A LOT of hoops to get them free of it so I can understand the apprehension.

This is still fairly new to me also. I'm trying to wrap my head around testing properly to get the correct results, understanding more how they all coincide with one another then how to troubleshoot when something is out of the target range. Baby steps though haha

I give all of you knowledgeable, pool chemistry folk a tip of the ole cap for your comprehension of how all of these numbers connect. I will get there eventually, with your help of course.

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

You will find that you have a chlorine pool that is NO DIFFERENT WHATSOEVER from the chlorine pools you have been in before WITH THE EXCEPTION of some salt in the water to allow for more chlorine generation.

An earlier post you made indicated you did not understand that.

Reactions: NY Smokeater
You are not alone..........many people think the same thing.

Salt and an SWG are merely delivery vehicles for chlorine.
Tabs are likewise delivery vehicles for chlorine
Water is the delivery vehicle for liquid chlorine.

So, I believe the chlorine pools where you had skin reactions were VERY poorly managed pools. Chlorine is virtually never the issue......it is improper management of pool water.......regardless of what you choose for delivery.

@duraleigh Glad to hear I'm not alone haha I'm re-reading this thread and wondering what it is that I do know. Your explanation definitely makes it more clear about the basics in a simple form. My wife hears the word bleach and momma bear comes out to defend. I have to figure out how to word it better so she understands.

It makes me wonder if it was poor pool chemistry that caused my children so much skin irritation? It is night and day (still but to a much, much less degree) the day after they swim in a non-salt water pool.

I plan on brushing up on some more knowledge in the pool school section. That should equip me to better explain the small challenge we are facing and the downside if we do not handle it properly.

P.S. Just found out the max I can set the timer for on my pump is 12 hours. Back to the forums to see if I can find some recommendations but after I read some more in pool school 😉

Last edited:
@duraleigh Glad to hear I'm not alone haha I'm re-reading this thread and wondering what it is that I do know. Your explanation definitely makes it more clear about the basics in a simple form. My wife hears the word bleach and momma bear comes out to defend. I have to figure out how to word it better so she understands.

Just call it liquid chlorine. Bleach and shock and more "scary" terms. And I'm all for protecting people. If you ever get a SWG, be careful with the term acid, muriatic aid, or hydrochloric acid, which are all needed to bring your pH down, which is very common with a SWG pool. Focus on the term PH Down. Of course, it is seruous stuff, so treat it properly and follow safe guidelines.

One note, annd I have no science on this, just a feel, I will say that I think that polls with a SWG tend to dry out your skin and hair less than a non-swg pool. Put a little more lotion after the shower, and no big deal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.