Help! Jandy JXI 260

theskydiveguy

Feb 20, 2013
Peterborough, ON
Hello All,

I've done lots of reading! But I still need some help.

Pool heater is 2 years old. I'm in Canada so it only gets used about 1/2 the year. In the spring I noticed the heater shortcycling (i think that's what you call it) it would come on for 2 or 3 mins, then shut off, then a few mins later it would come back on and over and over. It would eventually read "FAULT HIGH
LIMIT.

I contacted Jandy and they said eventually they would send someone.

Today, it stopped working completely, no ignition at all. Fan comes on, gas valve clicks open (I can smell the gas) then shuts off. I get the "IGN FAULT - CHECK STEPS". I pulled the igniter, and it's broken the spiral is broken. I will get a new one, but I am wondering about the High limit Fault. Any ideas how to fix that?

Thanks guys,

Is Jandy sending anyone out? Mine also lost an igniter after 1 season. I got 3 replacements so now have 2 spares. I guess you could always just replace the limit switch. How much water are you sending through it? I run mine at least at 3000rpms. Perhaps it is registering too high a temp in the heater. If not, then the switch is most likely bad.

Is Jandy sending anyone out? Mine also lost an igniter after 1 season. I got 3 replacements so now have 2 spares. I guess you could always just replace the limit switch. How much water are you sending through it? I run mine at least at 3000rpms. Perhaps it is registering too high a temp in the heater. If not, then the switch is most likely bad.

Thanks!

Jandy wants me to pay for service, it's just out of warranty. So I will try to fix it before paying!

Do you mean the High Limit Temperature Sensors?

If I don't run the pump (Hayward) on the highest setting 3000RPM's it makes that crazy scrapping sound. Sounds like it's eating itself. So why even bother with the expense of a VS Pump?

Thanks again for the reply.

Thanks!

Jandy wants me to pay for service, it's just out of warranty. So I will try to fix it before paying!

Do you mean the High Limit Temperature Sensors?

If I don't run the pump (Hayward) on the highest setting 3000RPM's it makes that crazy scrapping sound. Sounds like it's eating itself. So why even bother with the expense of a VS Pump?

Thanks again for the reply.

Yep the high limit sensors. If it says fault they are either bad or actually detecting a high limit.

Check the thermal regulator. If it is not operating correctly it could cause the cycling issue you are seeing.

Figured that out - Here is what I found.

First picture - i took it out and this bit of plastic came with it -- thoughts?

Hard to get in the photos - but it looks super rusty and maybe broken? I assume that this works like one in a car? Water gets hot and it opens?

Can I run the heater without it in it?

heater.jpg - Google Drive
heater2.jpg - Google Drive
heater3.jpg - Google Drive

Sorry - I can't seem to add them.

I'm glad I read this post - having the same problem with my high limit sensors. Heater stops at 93 degrees and says fault high limit. Do you know where to find them on the JXI? I need to find a source to buy the replacement as well it seems.

Figured that out - Here is what I found.

First picture - i took it out and this bit of plastic came with it -- thoughts?

Hard to get in the photos - but it looks super rusty and maybe broken? I assume that this works like one in a car? Water gets hot and it opens?

Can I run the heater without it in it?

heater.jpg - Google Drive
heater2.jpg - Google Drive
heater3.jpg - Google Drive

Sorry - I can't seem to add them.

Yes that part is your problem. That part is there for a reason. No I wouldn't run the heater without it.

I'm glad I read this post - having the same problem with my high limit sensors. Heater stops at 93 degrees and says fault high limit. Do you know where to find them on the JXI? I need to find a source to buy the replacement as well it seems.

I'm in Canada - But I imagine you just google it! That's how I found mine!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes that part is your problem. That part is there for a reason. No I wouldn't run the heater without it.

Thanks PS0303 - whats the little plastic part I found?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I have this as well - https://www.poolsuppliescanada.ca/index.php?dispatch=attachments.getfile&attachment_id=4061

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Guys!

Update - replaced the igniter.

Turned on the heater - regular start up - fan comes on - ignition happens and it literally sounds like a jet engine - SO LOUD and VIBRATING - I turn off the power immediately?

I tried again and same results. So I tried a third time and no ignition at all? So I take the igniter out and it's broken just like the last one?

Any ideas here guys?

Thanks

If you are blowing ignitors like that I would have to question the ignition control module. It is likely pushing out to my voltage and blowing the ignitor. If you have a meter you can disconnect the ignitor from the ICM and then put your meter on it and let ti run thru a cycle to light and get your readings.

As for the vibration/noise, a few things come to mind. First would be proper water flow. Then I would check your air orifice on the blower motor to make sure it is intact and hasn't been chewed up. If it gets chewed it can cause air flow to not be correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.