Help! I've never had this much algae

Sep 25, 2016
Reidsville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We opened our pool yesterday and very late this year. I've never had this much algae to deal with. I know the more I can get out before SLAM the better. I have been running the robot but not brushing. I have not tested anything yet. Historically, FC & CYA are 0 upon opening. I don't know whether to brush now or wait until I add chlorine. Advice please and thank you!!

Attachments

• 20220522_084341.jpg
    20220522_084341.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220522_084332.jpg
    20220522_084332.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 37
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if it's even algae, or just sediment that settled over the winter.

Get the CYA to 30, stat. Add in 10s if it looks like you have any at all. 20 and below is hard to discern and you don't want to overshoot.

Pay close attention to the FC until the CYA is letting it hold in the sun. You may need to add chlorine a couple times a day.

Reactions: Farmerswife96
It will brush to one area if you go gently. Stop the push before you get to the spot you want as the poof continues a bit on its own. Give it a few minutes to settle and brush it again. After a couple tries it will be mostly in one spot for a quick vac to waste.

These are my steps 😳 Should I brush them now or wait until added chlorine?
Those need help ASAP. You'll brush and maintain the elevated SLAM FC level simultaneously. If you follow the SLAM Process carefully you'll achieve great success. Big tips are:
- Lower pH to 7.2
- Ensure CYA is 30
- Increase FC to 12 and watch it carefully for the first day or two as it will try to drop quickly. Have lots of liquid chlorine ready.
- Brush, sweep, vacuum ALL surfaces of the pool. Leave no areas untouched.

Stick with it and you'll do fine.

Oooooooooooooooo- K. That's alive algae all nice and green. SLAM is ON !!! :)

Feel free to vac as much of the steps to waste as you can. It won't hurt to just get rid of it before SLAMing the still clear water.

Full day of birthday partying and visiting with the grandbabies. Came home, tested water. CYA and FC at 0. Ph was at 7
2. Put 2.5 lbs CYA in sock and tied it in front of jet. Added enough chlorine to SLAM level. Hopefully the CYA will be dissolved enough to add the rest. Only have enough reagent to test 1 more time for CYA. Need to reorder. Test water and add more chlorine when I get home tomorrow evening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Question - Did you add stabilizer earlier today and if so how?
Never mind. I just re-read your last post. :brickwall: Please do the following:

1. Use a SLAM/Shock FC of 10 for now. Temporarily remove the sock of CYA by placing in a bowl or bucket. Or at least pause on squeezing it.
2. After increasing the FC to 10, retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
3. If FC crashes below 5 ppm, add FC to bring back up to 10 and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
4. If FC holds between 5 - 10, then add FC to bring back up to the new SLAM level of "12".
5. Now you can put the CYA back in the water and/or start squeezing it again. You want to bring the CYA up to 30 ppm.

That 10-min drill is very important until you see the FC holding.

Am I on the right track?
Yes. But. 2 choices. Without much CYA the FC will be gone in a couple hours, or ammonia is the reason you have no CYA or FC.

Pats test will let you know which. If FC holds for 10+ mins, its not ammonia and full steam ahead getting to CYA 30. If your FC goes in minutes, keep adding/testing every 10 mins to kill the ammonia. Then once the FC holds, move onto CYA of 30 and SLAM of 12.

Never mind. I just re-read your last post. :brickwall: Please do the following:

1. Use a SLAM/Shock FC of 10 for now. Temporarily remove the sock of CYA by placing in a bowl or bucket. Or at least pause on squeezing it.
2. After increasing the FC to 10, retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
3. If FC crashes below 5 ppm, add FC to bring back up to 10 and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
4. If FC holds between 5 - 10, then add FC to bring back up to the new SLAM level of "12".
5. Now you can put the CYA back in the water and/or start squeezing it again. You want to bring the CYA up to 30 ppm.

That 10-min drill is very important until you see the FC holding.
Okay but I won't be able to do this until tomorrow evening.
Okay I think I understand. Will be rereading this I'm sure!! Wouldn't there be an ammonia smell?

Wouldn't there be an ammonia smell?
Tomorrow is fine. Water isn't gong anywhere. :) Smell? No. No indicators other than an extremely fast loss of FC and CYA. The 10-min drill will ensure you get ahead of it. So tomorrow have your stopwatch ready and go for it. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.