Help! Installed New Pump - will not hold prime

Open the pump basket and use a garden hose to run water into it. That way you can fill the pump basket and the lines all the way back to the pool. Close it then try starting the pump. If that doesn't work try leaving the basket open with the hose running into it, start the pump then quickly pull the hose out and put the lid on it. That sometimes works. You have a major air leak somewhere, it should be pretty easy to find once the pump is running. Smear shave foam anywhere you suspect. If that's the leak, you will see it disappear and it will show up in the pump basket. To confirm, wrap the area in plastic wrap and the leak will stop. I would bet that it's a connection you made when replacing the pump. The most obvious solution is also the most likely. Check those connections very carefully.

Was able to get the pump running late last night by bypassing the prime in the control panel and just having the pump pull until water started flowing (I know this is not the ideal solution but had to get the pump running and it worked). Set the pump for a low speed (1250 rpm) and went to bed. Woke up this morning to find the pump basket only half full of water but the pump was still running and circulating. I bled the air out from the top of the filter and boosted the pump speed before I went to work.

So, we're ok for now, pump is running continuously. It's clear there is a major leak somewhere and tonight we are going to try to find it using the shaving cream trick @Chiefwej recommended.

- - - Updated - - -

Random thoughts,
Do you have an air bleed on your filter? YES
If you do, open and close it while the pump is trying to prime. YES, we do this
Did you use lube on the lid O Ring? NO
Did you use unions on the pump? YES
Did you lube those? NO
Is the water level in your pool high enough? YES
Is there a Vortex in the skimmer when trying to prime? NO
If so, add water to the pool.
Are all of your valves set properly? YES (Spa return should be off and Pool/Spa valve turned to Pool Only)
Is the pump basket turned the right way? Yes, should be

Until you get it going, you can add bleach to the water and stir it around with your brush and net. Enlist the family to help.

Sounds like I should have used lube when I replaced the Orings. Is there a certain kind/brand?

That will only work if the leak is on the suction side of the pump. Which I think it probably is, since you apparently are getting air into the pump when it's running. Are there bubbles in the water returning to the pool? That would help confirm that it's before the pump. If the leak is at or past the pump, there should only be suction once the pump is shut down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.