Help/input on concrete surrounding new pool

Jul 1, 2013
New Jersey
Hey everyone.
Pool is in,back filled and getting ready for concrete.
I'm trying to stay somewhat on budget and looking for some input on where I can cut to shave off a few bucks. I know it's best to put as much stamped concrete now, but need to shave somewhere.

Quick sketch with dimensions penciled in attached. I'm cutting 1 foot around the entire perimeter off the bat. The far side (where there is 3' shown- top of photo) is towards the equipment pad and far end of the house that will not get used often at all. The 10' section next to the 3' was for a future slide. I'm cutting that down to 3' and figured I can put pavers there in the future if we decide on a slide. Opinions on that idea?

Also cutting out the pathway (bottom right) going to another paved section of my house from the 9' and 11' width section to a standard 3' wide walkway. Neighbor has a 3 foot wide walkway and seemed like enough when we were there over the weekend. Thoughts on this walkway /path size from folks here who may have regrets going too narrow?

Thanks everyone for any input.

46ebdffa9194694e0016286195417085.jpg

How much do you think you'll truly save by making it narrower? Probably not as much as you think. My take is get it done now while the guys are there. Labor shouldn't add that much more cost since the workers are already on the job. The additional costs will come in material. Most projects that I have seen where people start adding "this" and "that" later, it starts to look piecemealed and not well thought out. Just my 2 cents

The basic question is how are you planning to use the deck? Chairs, lounge chairs, tables, etc? You need to determine this before you can logically make any decisions. IMHO, 3' is minimum width around any area of the pool that you intend to use as walking space. Else it will likely become falling space, as in the place you fall into the pool at one time or another.

The basic question is how are you planning to use the deck? Chairs, lounge chairs, tables, etc? You need to determine this before you can logically make any decisions. IMHO, 3' is minimum width around any area of the pool that you intend to use as walking space. Else it will likely become falling space, as in the place you fall into the pool at one time or another.

Thanks for the input peirek.
We have a large deck that spans the length of the house and also a paver area for entertaining /outdoor eating where that walkway comes from. So the pool deck area will be for some lounge chairs, umbrella or 2 and a small table with just a few chairs (bistro style).
I will not go less than 3', that I agree with.
Also found a slide that will fit in about a 4' wide deck area (SR smith Typhoon I believe)... So should be good there.

How about not going with stamped and going with stone-marked instead? See my sig line for pics of stone-marked. It was less than 1/2 as much for us as the stamped ($1 more per sq foot than regular concrete) so a very significant savings and I think it looks better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.