Bolivia, North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-15
My pool installer handed over responsibility for my newly installed pool about 2 weeks ago and I'm so very appreciative for this forum. Used TF100 kit to run all tests on Fri/Sat/Sun. Started Fri with CYA at 0, today at 75 so think that's a win! Based on today's test results listed here and Pool Math, I increased SWG from 20% for 40% to raise FC to target 5. I think I need to work on Calcium next since current level is 100ppm and I plan to get waterline tile installed in the next several weeks. Have municipal water supply.

Pool Math says add 24 lbs calcium chloride or 32 lbs calcium chloride dihydrate. The large amount is making me pause (and a little anxious). I've searched TFP site; are the following tips on target for my situation?
- get product as close to 100% calcium chloride as possible--> are there a few really good quality/price choices or is it mostly a commodity product? I've seen sooooo many names listed.
- bring pH down to 7.2 first?
- apply smaller amounts over several days, retesting each day?
- dissolve ~5 lbs/5 gal bucket of water and let cool?
- sling smaller amounts across pool with pump running--> turn off my SWG? how long?
- read ideal is 350-550ppm; should I aim for 450ppm?

Anything else I need to do? Thank you!

Build Type: Fiberglass
Volume: 7400 gallons
------------------------------------------
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 3.0 (3 hours ago)
CC: 0.0 (3 hours ago)
pH: 7.6 (3 hours ago)
TA: 65 (3 hours ago)
CH: 100 (3 hours ago)
CYA: 75 (3 hours ago)
SALT: 3520 (3 hours ago)
TEMPERATURE: 75° (3 hours ago)
CSI: -0.96 (3 hours ago)

Waterline tile on a fiberglass pool should use non cement grout and adhesive. Check with the installer. The really should use something like Novagard Silicone grout and adhesive. I wish my installer had. I am slowly repairing all my tile as it falls off due to the use of improper grout (cement based).

Thus, you should be able to leave your CH level as is.

Oh! That's a nice surprise and appreciate tips on waterline tile install. I'm not sure I understand tho. I looked up recommended Calcium hardness level for fiberglass with SWG and saw 350-550 ppm range. Pool Math app shows same reco range. Why is my pool ok at 100?

There are old fiberglass pools that had calcium used in the gel coat. We know of no current fiberglass pool manufacturers that use calcium.

However, if your pool manufacturer states a higher CH level for warranty purposes, you should follow it. I do not believe it will protect anything, and in your climate with rain, you will be adding calcium often.

Reactions: NancyGreeneJeans
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.