HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to turn

Re: HELP i'm in a complete mess and don't know which way to

I put in the calculator that i had 20 like you had suggested Leebo so it said to add 28 more CYA in the sock. So that's what i did. Of note...it took my old pump about 4 days to clear the stuff out of the sock. I put the CYA stuff in my sock last night and this morning it was gone.

As far as lowering my pH....i saw where adding CYA would lower it so i was gonna give it a few days to see if the pH came down. Is that right?

My TA is way up there i'm sure, it was high a few weeks ago.

At night when i've checked i've had either 0 or 1 in FC, that is why i'm adding the 128oz at night to get it up toward 7 or so for the night time. Adding more CYA hopefully, that will improve it going away during the day.

Update: retested the FC and it actually shows 6 so maybe i wasn't fully awake this morning. Note: Sun has been on pool for about 4 hours...
Tested the TA too...here are the numbers...

FC 6
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 140-150

Plan in a CYA of 50ish then. Your levels of FC at 5 are towards the bottom of where you wanna be. Try to keep the FC at 8. You'll see the water dance even more. You also should see a smaller drop in your FC levels from day to day testing now. If you see a huge drop at this point....it's a warning something maybe wrong.

The PC suggested adding 28 oz of CYA to reach a target. Since you added the 28 oz when you use the PC you can change the actual to the number that was the target. In other words you do not need to wait until the CYA shows up in your tests which could be as long as a week to change the actual number. As Leebo says the CYA is in there working. Doing this should change the amount of bleach the PC will tell you to add. Your other numbers look fine. The TA is a little high, but with a vinyl pool you do not have to be too concerned with TA and CH. Since your pool is not perfectly sparkly, you can raise your FC target to the high end of the range. Whenever you want to lower the TA you can simply lower the PH to 7.2 and aerate the pool. When the PH gets back up to 7.6 bring it down again. I do this by pointing my eyeball straight up. This does not work as fast as a water fountain would, but it does work. Over a couple of weeks I brought my TA down from 270 to 70 doing this.

I want to add my congratulations to you, not only for making a successful conversion, but also for detailing your work in this thread. It should be a major help to others who want to make the conversion.

Just finished reading the entire thread over two days...Wow. Seriously I was biting my nails and freaking out and sad and happy and and and...WOW!

I am in the process of building and have had quite the time figuring out what FC/CC/CYA/TA etc etc are, how to control them and how they correlate. I can say after reading this thread, I completely understand the shock process, CC/FC and PH. Umm..I kinda got TA, but I'm gonna freak when I need to do something and re-read this end of the thread...lol I will have plaster so CH will matter more too..

Congrats to you for gaining your pool and the knowledge on how to keep it!!! I feel I already know half the peeps on this thread that helped too, rock stars. Human kindness on this forum is overwhelming, and sooooo nice to be apart of!

Thanks to all of you for participating and sharing this story and the tfp for giving normal people this forum!!

Welcome to the site arvven. Most of us came into this site knowing only what to dump into the pool after the store told us what to do. Pool school teaches well!

Welcome again!

Welcome Arvven!!!!!! Thank you for the support and thank you for taking time to read the thread...it is a long one for sure!!! You will do awesome with your pool and these smarty peeps here will help you. Heck i even will if i can think of something that helped me out here and there.

This morning here are my numbers:

FC 7
CC 0
pH 7.5

Water looks awfully pretty to me. Getting more clear every day. Dancing sun all over the bottom. I'm in love... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hey...question....

On the bottom of my pool i have a couple of white areas. At first i thought it was just stains or something because the walls of my pool, with all the bleach i used, went from a dark blue to a light blue. But, when i walk on them they are rough, like the bottom of concrete pools get sometimes. I've scrubbed them, they don't change at all and i can tell it is not coming off.

Any ideas?

Is it possible that you dropped some powdered chemical there or had a chlorine tab land there? I had damage to my floor for these reasons. Mine was like an alligator in the worst areas.

Mine is dead center of the pool. I haven't used any chlorine tabs, but last year my neighbor did when he was taking care of the pool. So, yeah that is possible. Just making sure it wasn't something really bad. I can live with the white spots.

Thanks!!!!

If they are dead center I would guess they added the powdered shock or some other slower dissolving chemical with the pump running and walked away. The return fitting could easily create a rotation in the pool and the powder would circle the pool and eventually the slow vortex would collect all of the powder and debris in the center of the pool.

Do you notice all the junk, leave and sticks, that blows into the pool end up in the center?

Oh yes, i know it's in the middle because of the vortex. I like that cute little vortex. It makes it easy after a storm to gather out leaves that fall. I just wasn't sure what caused it to be white and since it was rough, i wanted to make sure it wasn't going to eat through the liner or something fatal like that...lol. The chemical thing makes sense.

I don't see how my pool could get any clearer btw. Do i still need to keep the FC up to 8?

Here is a pic from a couple days ago, and here is the pic just now after shocking for a day...

A couple days ago....

100_1507.jpg

This one just now....

100_1512.jpg

This post is in DEDICATED TO NEWPOOLOWNER12!!!!!!!!!!!

POST 1000. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee thanks everyone!!!!!!

That test is so subjective!!!!! I've added enough CYA to get it to 40 but i believe it was you or Leebo or someone that said i have to wait a week to test and make sure. So, i'm thinking it SHOULD be around 40. So the chart says keep FC around 5 when not shocking. Is that my new goal now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.