Help Identifying Stains

Sleik91

May 23, 2024
Pennsylvania
Hello! I am looking for help identifying and treating stains in my inground pool. Pool is 30,000 gallons and fiberglass.
Have had the pool for 6 years since we moved in but it is probably close to 10 years old.
The pink/white stains are present in whole pool. Black stains are from vitamin c tablets and disappeared after a few hours.
Ive shocked it with 12lbs of calcium hypo and 6 gallons of liquid chlorine since we opened it a week ago.
My chlorine levels are barely 1ppm.

I'm torn between whether it is pink algae or some sort of metal like copper. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240521_124607.jpg
    20240521_124607.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 14
Welcome to the forum!
If Vitamin C turns them black, that normally points to copper.
Have you been adding copper based products or do you have a heater and use a trichlor tablet feeder?
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Best advice is to SLAM the pool first (please read the Pool School links above) and then worry about the stains. The stains are cosmetic and will take time to correct. Getting your water balanced and sanitary is the most important issue.

Thanks for the replies! I do have a heater attached to the egg filter (we use D.E.) and also have been using triclor tabs in the feeder. As for copper based product I don't believe we have used any
Welcome to the forum!
If Vitamin C turns them black, that normally points to copper.
Have you been adding copper based products or do you have a heater and use a trichlor tablet feeder?
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Unless you run your pump 24/7 anytime their was trichlor in the feeder, then likely are dissolving the heat exchanger in the heater. Use a floating dispenser if you must use trichlor.

Can you post a full set of pool water chemistry results using your own test kit?

As mentioned above, you likely need to follow the SLAM Process

Best advice is to SLAM the pool first (please read the Pool School links above) and then worry about the stains. The stains are cosmetic and will take time to correct. Getting your water balanced and sanitary is the most important issue.
Thanks for the advice. I figured my chlorine levels should be higher with the amount I've added over the last week. PH is around 7, hardness seems high at around 300.

Unless you run your pump 24/7 anytime their was trichlor in the feeder, then likely are dissolving the heat exchanger in the heater. Use a floating dispenser if you must use trichlor.

Can you post a full set of pool water chemistry results using your own test kit?

As mentioned above, you likely need to follow the SLAM Process
Interesting. So the tri might be damaging the heater? I can post water results later this afternoon when I'm home

Might be.
Check to be sure the tablets you are using do not say 'blue' anywhere. Check any other products you are using. Typically show copper sulfate or other copper containing compounds in the ingredients.

Reactions: Sleik91
Thanks for the advice. I figured my chlorine levels should be higher with the amount I've added over the last week. PH is around 7, hardness seems high at around 300.

Please read the article about SLAMing a pool. It’s more than just elevated chlorine but a process for eradicating algae in a pool. Simply throwing in a bunch of chlorine doesn’t work. It has to follow the process or else the algae will simply return.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry. We do not provide guidance based on test strip data.
You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100/Pro or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.