Help identifying pool cover motor equipment pieces & troubleshooting - SAF-T 2 Cover

Amajo

Aug 24, 2021
Wichita, KS
Hi, brand new pool owner. Sav-T 2 pool cover motor (it's OLD). Per previous owner, the rails installed have never been right and it causes problems with the cover. Right now, one side of pool cover opens a few inches earlier than the other. That's really the least of the problems as of this point.

Recently our shear pin broke and we eventually figured out what it was and how to replace it (done, but leading up to figuring it out and replacing it, we did some other things that I think may have caused a new problem). When we were trying to find out why our pool cover wasn't working (and motor just spinning, spinning, spinning), we added some WD-40 to parts in the motor. I think it sprayed up to parts that we should never have greased and now we have a problem. See pictures.

What I would like to know, what is the name of that part that I have circled? The part that we cannot get to stay on the round metal disks, no matter what adjustment, it ends up coming off once we get going on opening or closing the cover. Now our rope is not pulling back nicely and you can see our rope is all disorganized and that needs fixed too.

We are do it ourselves type of people, and would love to fix the ropes and guide to the metal wheels, but thinking I'm going to call out a pro for this since it's so old and we don't know what we are doing (yay us! :) ). We want to get the guides to stay back on the metal disks, get the rope all organized, and on the opposite side of the motor (see pic) get that area straightened out (suggested to do by previous owner). The problem is, I want to call and get some quotes, but I don't know the names of all these parts to ask. I've found the manual for the SAF T 2 cover, but it doesn't specify the names of the parts that I can tell.

Thanks in advance!! Happy Pooling.

photo of pool cover motor.JPGPool cover motor photo.JPGpool cover motor side.JPG

Contact Cover Pools and they can walk you through the parts you need and maybe refer you to a local authorized dealer.

The parts indicated are the brakes that control the rotation speed of the rope reels.

Reactions: Amajo
Thank you to all! Does anyone think I could use something to remove the WD40 residue from the rope reels? Like rubbing alcohol or brake cleaner? I will search for how to unroll and fix the ropes unless anyone has a link to a particular thread? Still thinking we could avoid trying to find a service company.

To get the brakes back in place, loosen the two outer bolts and rotate the square shaft until the brakes are in place.

"COVER RETRACTS UNEVENLY: Once your cover is installed it is unlikely that it will require any adjustment.

However, it is possible for extreme changes in the cover condition to cause the cover to begin to run unevenly.

Our exclusive brake adjustment makes it quite simple for you to do the adjusting yourself, avoiding a service call.

You should always determine which adjustment to make by observing the evenness of the cover as it is coming off the pool.

Adjusting the cover is accomplished by tightening or loosening the wing nut on the brake mechanism (see illustration).

Make sure the cover is stopped and the key or power is in the “off” position.

Adjust the cover by tightening the wing nut (clockwise) on the side that consistently comes back first.

Add only a little brake at a time to avoid applying too much tension.

When possible, take the brake off the side coming back slowest by loosening the wing nut on that side.

However, a little brake must be left on both sides at all times to prevent the rope from becoming tangled because of backlash.

NOTE: Some covers systems are supplied with this adjustment feature disabled.

If you use the procedure above and cannot get the cover adjustment to change, call your local service company for assistance."

1630593305900.jpeg
1630593238952.png
1630593769637.png

I got the brakes back in place by adjusting the bolt as in pic, thank you! I have not adjusted the wing nuts yet, the ropes are not rolling up all nice, they are going back and forth over each other. Do you have links for redoing and straightening out the ropes?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.