Help! I need clarification on materials to use under pool.

JoAnderson

Jul 24, 2021
Kamloops
I’m about to install my 18x33 above ground pool.

The manual states after ground prep, “take material such as rock dust or fine mortar that can conform a solid, permanent base and deposit around perimeter of pool to a width of 24” and thickness of 2”. Compact and make sure there are no high or low spots, the bottom edge of the pool wall must rest flat on the ground and have no gaps under it

I have bought mason sand (aka mortar sand) for under the liner and I also have a rhino pad.

Is the material for the perimeter the same as for inside?

It states crushed limestone or equivalent for under stones and for backfilling channels. Should I also use this for the perimeter? What is mortar? Is this mortar sand? The only thing that pops up when I look is the stuff for b/w bricks.

do I need limestone for perimeter? Under the wall? Or can I use my mason sand? (Mortar sand)?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: The stuff they are referring to above from your manual is designed to be leveled and compacted to provide a firm surface for the entire pool. It's different than just mortar sand because the other stuff should lock and bond together. But you have options. How you prep the ground is really up to you based on soil conditions. Just make sure whatever you level and pack remains firm and level in preparation for your Rhino pads. You do want to pay attention special around the perimeter for the wall base/rails to ensure they are perfectly level and will not sag if the area gets wet. Be sure to consider water run-off and drainage around the area to help prevent washout. Take your time and post back with any other questions you may have. Others will reply I'm sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.